Is froud Sexist

Leo62

LOL this thread...

I think it's a sexy deck no doubt about it...sometimes quite weirdly so for us hung-up humans.

I agree lot of the women are bosomy - no one has mentioned the Lady of the Harvest, who has HUGE bazongas ;)

But then, if you look closely, there are absolutely LOADS of phallic symbols around- again the Lady of the Harvest is a prime example but also Sylvanus... and others but can't remember off the top of my head.

These fairies are a Freudian lot })

Little Hare

room said:
Because Brian Froud is a healthy heterosexual male who likes women and enjoys the naked female body.

Seems pretty normal to me.

And he's obviously a breast man. Yowza, yowza.

ROFLMAO!!!!! Oh Room! you are a scream! as someone who works with fey alot... i get the distinct feeling that they are grinning at us all with this discussion going on.

AJ

I felt the same way about the LS Fey deck, and the deck artist is a female.
Lots and lots and lots of tight tops and nipples...mostly androgynous male cards.

faunabay

AJ said:
I felt the same way about the LS Fey deck, and the deck artist is a female.
Lots and lots and lots of tight tops and nipples...mostly androgynous male cards.

I did see this one as much more sexist than Froud's but still love it too!!!!

Little Hare

I love the fey :D I dunno do you think we are being to prude as humans?

Sophie

I like these naked fae. But then I'm not a prude in my own life either ;)

However I don't think the question in the first post was prudish. It was more about balance between naked male and female fae - especially those that are sexually alluring, and if that constitutes sexism. I don't think so, but we all have different standards about these things.

Kahlie

There was once a nice little experiment. Both men and women were shown pictures of naked women and naked men.

Both men and women agreed that naked women look nice, alluring and can be even photographed in an artful way. The female body was considered a work of art...

Both men and women agreed that a naked man looks kinda funny... and when a naked man is in full arousal, it's evokes a lot of sexual tension that a naked female doesn't necessarily has to have...

When I read this article I had to think. I'm a purely heterosexual female, but I don't think seeing naked men is that alluring, unless it's the one I'm madly in love with.

Froud's deck doesn't seem sexists to me, precisely because of this... if I would see a lot of naked male Fae inclusive genitalia, it would... be kind of an over the top sexist... to me, personally. Can you imagine that?

However, there are sexy male Fae in this deck. More then you know. Even one's where you can see bits of genitalia if you know where to look. But it's done in a fashion that portrays naturalness with nakedness, something humans find hard to do. The same way I feel the Fae Females display naturalness with nakedness... and playfulness with sexuality.

Kahlie

Little Baron

I think naked men can be very beautiful too. But I understand what you mean about the full arousal thing.

But then .. in the Froud Faeries, to my memory, none of the female fae's are showing their noo-noo's, are they? :D

LB

Kahlie

Little Baron said:
I think naked men can be very beautiful too. But I understand what you mean about the full arousal thing.

Oh yeah, of course they can be very beautiful. But it's much harder to portray them as art then female's... from what I've seen from Art Photographs a whole long time ago...

It's hard to make a man look natural with his genitalia, because of the way we look at it. (Up or down!) And the connotations we have with it...

Kahlie

Little Baron

Sometimes, I think it can be nicely hidden, in both cases. I don't think that anyone sitting there with their legs wide open and everything on show looks particularly good, male or female. Some modern photographers do this, but I think it more for shock value.

LB