Question on the strength card

Neely75

I'm just learning the meaning of the RW cards. I have the Original Rider Waite. I've heard that the Strength card means strength from within. What in the imagery would tell you this? I took it to be the closed eyes, going within to find courage. But I'm told the eyes aren't closed. Is she just looking downwards to the lion? What do you think of the imagery of this card?

Abrac

In occult art, the Soul is often depicted as a woman. The idea of inner strength is shown in this card as a woman (soul) exercising her authority over the savage beast (instinct). She may also represent Reason.

moon_shadow

edited

BodhiSeed

The following is just my opinion:

The infinity symbol above the woman's head shows her connection to Infinite Wisdom and Power (a spiritual wisdom and power - reminds me of Gandhi and his philosophy of "ahimsa," or nonviolence).
She wears a chain of flowers (rather than an iron chain) that symbolizes the control is through love rather than force.
The woman's white robe represents this spiritual control as well, and that her intentions and motivations are pure.
The mountain in the background represents the sacred goal (self-mastery through compassion).

Bodhran

moon_shadow

*edited

Abrac

In early Tarots, this card may have had a meaning more akin to brute strength, but over time it gradually came to mean fortitude which implies determination, endurance, courage, resilience, stamina, etc.

frelkins

Abrac said:
In early Tarots, this card may have had a meaning more akin to brute strength, but over time it gradually came to mean fortitude which implies determination, endurance, courage, resilience, stamina, etc.

the mantegna tarot, for example, shows a woman with a lion and a marble column. here the card is explicitly called fortitude, one of the virtues. http://trionfi.com/mantegna/e/e-mantegna-tarocchi/36.jpg

it speaks directly to the ability faith gives you to conquer hardship and endure, to resist despair, to break the unbreakable (marble column). RWS completely changes the meaning of this card, imvho -- the woman (soul) shouldn't be conquering or taming the lion, she is harnessing its strength and courage to bear up under duress. lions of course mean courage and kingship, but also i believe in this card there is a meant to be a link to the "lion of st. mark."

mark is felt to embody courage, since he was martyred by being burned alive for evangelizing to the egyptians. the message he preached was the kingship or rulership of christ, so mark's symbol is the lion. all of these associations would have been understood by everyone in italy at the time of the early tarot, as they were preached in churches and shown in stained glass and murals.

Neely75

Thank You all for your replies. It all makes a lot more sense to me now.

I found by going through the little book that came with the cards I could not understand why certain cards mean what they do. But when it is all explained it makes a lot more sense.

I am so glad I have found a place with such a wealth of knowledge! :)

job

frelkins said:
the mantegna tarot, for example, shows a woman with a lion and a marble column. here the card is explicitly called fortitude, one of the virtues. http://trionfi.com/mantegna/e/e-mantegna-tarocchi/36.jpg

it speaks directly to the ability faith gives you to conquer hardship and endure, to resist despair, to break the unbreakable (marble column). RWS completely changes the meaning of this card, imvho -- the woman (soul) shouldn't be conquering or taming the lion, she is harnessing its strength and courage to bear up under duress. lions of course mean courage and kingship, but also i believe in this card there is a meant to be a link to the "lion of st. mark."

I really like your reasoning. Kinda got me thinking...

...where does this faith come from? We've all read stories about people who have overcome hardships and triumphed. We treasure those stories because they are rare examples of the human spirit in all its glory. But we humans are habitual beings. We tend to repeat things over and over.

Have you ever had a dream that you struggled to wake from? This is what the RWS card says to me. Before we can do battle with the ills of the outside World... we have to win the battle with ourselves first.
And that fight is (in part) the one with procrastination. Or the 'excuse making syndrom' that every one of us knows to well.

Far as I'm concerned, the lion should wake up!
:)

tantricknite

..........Where does this faith come from? Thats a good question. Maybe faith comes through love. If you love somthing enough your going to believe in it.