Book of Law Study Group 1.44

cardlady22

The wording here plays tricks with my head. unassuaged ~ new Word For the Day

un means not

assuage (verb)- relieve, moderate, weaken, satisfy, dull

Always Wondering

I think you are on the right track Cardlady.

Magical and Philosophical Commentaries said:
I recommend serious study of the word unassuaged which appears not very intelligible.

I stumbled across this looking for the definition.

AW

thorhammer

Hi all :)

I love this verse - it's one of my favourites.

Perhaps consideration of the next phrase will deepen understanding of the "unassuaged of purpose" phrase?

"delivered from the lust of result" - to me this suggests that pure will has no agenda, but exists merely in the moment and is unaffected by causality or consequence.

So then "unassaged" translated to "unmoderated" or "unweakened" gives us the sense that pure will should not be in context, as it were; there is no end result that should be desired. Action should be directed by the will that dictates within that particular moment, unencumbered and uninfluenced by purpose, direction or agenda.

\m/ Kat

cardlady22

more synonyms

And then we get those pesky prepositions: of and from

assuaged ** purpose

belonging to, produced by, about

delivered **** lust of result

beginning with, venturing out, due to

~*~*~*~
letter- heh on the sphere- chesed

Aeon418

The Will wants to go, to move, to flow, according to it's own nature. But it's vehicle of experience, the human mind/ego, usually has other ideas. It "lusts for results" and thereby assuages the purpose, the direction, of the Will.

It's a bit like when you go shopping at the super market and suddenly you realise, to your absolute horror, that you've picked THE TROLLEY FROM HELL. The one with the wonky, squeaky wheel that always pulls to the left.

The HGA is the shopper. You are the trolley. :laugh:

Always Wondering

I have to say I am a bit surprised, as I peeked at some of the commentaries earlier than usual.
When I was stumbling around, on my knees, because I had been knocked to them by my own ignorance of myself, the phrase "lust of result" along with "love under will" penetrated my darkness like nothing else could.
Now I read. . .

Let [the student] beware of the 'lust of result,' of expecting too much, of losing courage if his first success is followed by a series of failures. (Book 4, Appendix IV, Liber Samekh, p. 539)

This seems more like "hope of result" or "desire of result" and if these words were used they might have never found me. The word "lust" to me implies more of obsession which makes non-attachment a cruel promise.
I am having trouble putting it into words so I am going to quote Scion's.

In Greek mythology, Aphrodite (Venus) was born of the sea foam near Paphos after Cronos (Saturn) castrated his father Oranos (the Sky) with his scythe and tossed his genitals into the sea where they frothed and spontaneously generated the goddess who is the oldest of the so-called Olympians. The name Aphrodite literally means “Foam Born.” Agony produces Desire!
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=100762

I don't know, makes a "series of failures" more of a nuisance.

AW

cardlady22

My irreverent self is kicking in . . . and singing at the top of its lungs:

Grow the roses, grow the roses, grow the roses of success

Up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

~ Baron Bomburst's dungeon in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
This seems more like "hope of result" or "desire of result" and if these words were used they might have never found me. The word "lust" to me implies more of obsession which makes non-attachment a cruel promise.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.

The destination is not important, but the journey there is everything. To the mind this is nonsense. The mind is like a bored child on a long road trip. New sights and scenes flash past every second and yet there is the constant whine of, "are we there yet?"

"I want to be Enlightened today!! Right now!!" the mind screams. But the journey there includes trial and tribulation. Failure and frustration. Without them enlightenment is worthless.
3:62. To Me do ye reverence! to me come ye through tribulation of ordeal, which is bliss.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:

"I want to be Enlightened today!! Right now!!" the mind screams.

:|

AW
P.S.
What, no book? :laugh: