Study Group Post 1- Houses (general information)

Sophos

just following the posts on mother representation in our own charts... It is true that if we have our mothers' charts will help to understand how that mother appears to be in a certain way; nevertheless, we must not forget that within our charts we still can take a lot of information even if the initial factors may contradict our experience of mother. For instance, if we look at the Moon for mother and it's in Cancer but the mother in question doesn't appear Cancerian at all, before we dismiss the possibility of the Moon representing the mother (and i'm not defending this in here, it's just an example), we still can look at how this particular Moon is in aspect to other points in the chart, how afflicted or not is the ruler of the house where the Moon is placed, etc, etc.
Since this is just a thread for the houses, i don't want to diverge too much but I just wanted to give another clue on how the chart can speak - a common analogy: we learn the letters, we learn the words and then form sentences but all the meanings of the sentences can change within a different context.
Also, I would like to mention that there is a tendency to say that “this and this” is bad and “this and this” is good in astrology, I personally try to look without that sort of judgement since there is a full spectrum of possibilities to experience the same configuration in a positive or perhaps constructive way or in a more negative or distorted way. I think certain aspects can be quite difficult indeed but also they can friction enough to polish a pearl out of it.
Just random thoughts… I’m enjoying very much the sharing from everyone – I’m always learning, thank you.

214red

good point sophos, its like tarot some people like to name cards as good and bad, and really none of the cards are either.

I have face to face readings all day then class this evening, i will be able to post the second post for the group tomorrow sometime.

Ashtaroot

thank you for all this
great info iwill be lurking until I have a chance to get to my books if you guys don't mind

I too associate 4 th with the mother because of the moon and Cancer
well so far anyway

214red

Summary of lessons learnt through discussion

-The houses are ruled by planets not signs, and the history of some houses means the planet that rules it now didnt always rule it
- link http://www.astrology.com/aboutastro...heel/index.html
-4th house/10th house- looks like it depends on what type of family you have, is it 'patriarchal' societies or familes or 'matriarchal' societies or families. if its a patriarchal then likely you will see the 4th house as father, however if its matriarchal the 4th house would represent mother.

- Fourth house lies 'under the Earth' - it's literally the other side of the world. If you have the Sun in the fourth (or near the foruth cusp), you were born around midnight or just before. You can't see the Sun for the Earth. Now by analogy 'under the Earth' is where roots grow. So you could see the fourth as dealing with things that are roots - like our family lineage, or things which are literally rooted to the spot, like our house or things which are buried, such as buried treasure - all of which are linked to the fourth.
-
-
-
-
-
-

Curtis Penfold

I've been thinking about Cancer recently. I didn't know it was under dispute as the mother archtype.

I get that astrology has a lot of layers. So the fourth house might be more complicated than all of this (like with Jupiter in it and such).

But is the astrological sign itself connected to things outside the house, or am I misunderstanding this? For example, can Cancer be symbolic of the Mother, but the fourth house more symbolic of the Father?

(Alright, I'm new to all this. It'd be great if this can be explained in clear language...although it appears to be a lot more complicated than what others think).

dadsnook2000

For 214red....house rulers?

You noted . . . "-The houses are ruled by planets not signs, and the history of some houses means the planet that rules it now didnt always rule it."

I had missed this posting, but I would like to very strongly disagree with the statement that the houses are ruled by planets --- a position you may actually agree with. There are a few basic facts that need to be kept in mind when talking about houses.

** Houses are related to the angles of the chart --- the Ascendant and/or the MC, depending upon the type of house system one uses.
** The angles of the chart actually reflect the rotational position of the Earth relative to a particular point on Earth and that location's relationship to the Sun. In other words, the MC and Ascendant are a factor of both location and time ---- time being related to the hour of the day and its obvious day or night condition relative to the place one is located at.
** The astrological planets are constantly on the move in the sky. We view them through the mathematical construct we call "signs"; signs exist only here on/near the Earth's surface since (for Tropical Zodiac astrologers) it is the Earth's tilt relative to the Sun that determines the zodiac's anchor point at zero Aries. The planets don't stay in any single "sign" because there are no signs out there. We just "see" (see them through a chart model) them as if they were actually there ---- it's a conceptual game we play.
** Depending upon where we are on the surface of the Earth at any one specific time common to all locations, the astrological planets can be in any and all houses at the same time.

The above indicates that there is no astronomical measurement or linkage between a house and a planet. Serious astrological practitioners and historians would not provide a general consensus that planets rule houses. It is not my intention to contradict or to come down hard on you, but when we take on the role of a teacher or leader we always have to exercise care so as to not misinform or confuse others. It isn't easy. You are doing a fine job relating to those who are early or just starting their astrological studies. Dave.

Zezina

It might not be appropriate to post this URL here, but after seeing this study group had opened up I decided to brush up on my astrology.

So I went looking for a website with free and accurate lessons in astrology, and I found Bob Marks Astrologer, a work in progress website which seems very good indeed, and is almost completed in the area of Natal Astrology, the area of astrology that I do find reliable.

Seems the website drew a very positive review in Mountain Astrologer magazine.

http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/TOClessons.htm

If this post is inappropriate here, please remove it or move it to where it is both appropriate and useful.

:heart: *Z*

214red

all help appriciated!!!