Hanson Roberts - O The Fool

Centaur

I like this card, but not as much as I like the others. I think he is different from other Fool cards I have seen, in the sense that the Hanson Roberts Fool looks very much like a young boy, care-free, and happy. In other words, he very much looks like he doesn't give a damn about anything. Almost as if he has no problems at all. Perhaps this child-like aspect reflects the child in all of us. That exciting feeling of doing something different... of exploring... and of long Summer evenings when it never gets dark and there is always something different to do; a new area to explore, and new adventures to be had.

Me is all nostalgic now!

PS. I suppose I miss the cute little dog from the RW deck HEHEHE.

MeeWah

The emphasis is on the upper part of the body. The head is looking upwards, towards his/her right (the appearance is such the person could be either gender). The element Air is suggested from the wide view. The open space is all around, unimpeded by objects, & he is at the edge of a cliff, possibly on the verge of stepping off. The head is moreorless up in the clouds; daydreaming. He has not a care in the world because he does not know any better. Or he does & is choosing to not be concerned. Or is trusting in his innocence--he holds the white rose of purity. His view is yet unsullied by the world.

His satchel is closed with a 6-petaled red flower. Therein, he carries all he needs. The shirt is also red. Red represents the desires, the creative energy. The blue kerchief represents the spiritual realm; also suggestive of the throat chakra, the thyroid gland which is said to influence clairvoyance. The golden brown of his britches & hat refer to earthly matters. One needs an understanding of the earthly realm, too.

Alex

The translations into Spanish and German imply someone who's crazy.

The purse is a woman's purse.

And the sky is almost... grey. No clouds...

Centaur

There seems to be an snow capped mountain the the background. What could this reflect?

MeeWah

A mountain represents a higher level of consciousness. Since snow is white, it could refer to the purity of thought at that level. There are 2 peaks on the left of the card of about the same height--achieving a balanced integration; also, appropriate choices.

Alex

because the mointais seem to be far away, it could just represent leaving the hardship behind. It's cold, winter there... but here it seems to be spring already.

MeeWah

Alex: I thought the presence of snow on mountaintops is because of the altitude, where the air is colder; however, I like your take. The image or part of the card that captures the attention depends upon the moment or the surrounding cards.

During one reading for a client, The Fool represented a Hermit who had come down from his mountain.

Centaur

I like Alex's take also. It's as though the fool is leaving his hardship behind.

Alex

Mee Wah,
Your take is very realistic, made me remind when I was in Ecuador: pretty warm wheather, but if I looked up towards the Andes, I could see the snow on the mointaintops. Very ... surreal... but yet real.
Alex.

MeeWah said:
Alex: I thought the presence of snow on mountaintops is because of the altitude, where the air is colder; however, I like your take. The image or part of the card that captures the attention depends upon the moment or the surrounding cards.

Cocobird55

To me, this Fool is setting off on a journey, one that he is optimistic about. His carefree expression tells me that he doesn't think anything can go wrong. He has his pack and his rose, and that's all he thinks he needs...

I think that he symbolizes the beginning of a quest...but he doesn't realize that. He is just doing what he is doing, and being happy about it.

Sue