Thoth-like decks.... which ones do you like?

Aun

Hi

I just received the Magickal Tarot (by Anthony Clark) as a gift from another forum coleague, and I am totally blown away by its rich symbolism and the beauty of the cards.

I've never came accross a Thoth-like deck before this one, and obviously now my interest in such decks has increased a lot.

Now I ask you... which Thoth-like decks do you have, like or suggest?
Cheers...

Cerulean

Guess what...

I'm finding some of the most interesting European decks with Thothlike feeling or roots...especially when the artist speaks also of Jungian archetypes....

Here's some I know about:

Via - but seems to lack the Alchemical walk through the majors that Lon Duquette highlights in his Crowley Tarot book.

Ananda - oddly, it feels both Buddhist and Thothlike in its discussion, but it may be just my odd liking for it.

I just happened on this link--I have the Light and Shadow, but I never thought it was Thothlike, as Joan Cole discusses--I'll have to read Brian William's thoughtful commentary on the deck in the book that comes with the deck:

http://www.advancenet.net/~jscole/tarotpostmodl.htm

Alta

I also have the Magickal Tarot and I would have to say it is the best Thoth-type deck that I have ever seen. I have not yet seen the Liber T, so maybe I will have to change that stance. The Via doesn't seem quite right.
I have a couple of other Thoth-related decks, the Rohrig of course and some others but the Magickal Tarot seems to have really hit it right.

lunakasha

I have recently acquired the Via, which I find to be a somewhat softer, gentler version of the Thoth....very pretty colors!!!

I am also very attracted to the Liber T/Stars Eternal deck....still high on my wishlist! :eek:

Are there other Thoth-based decks that I am missing out on???

Thanks!!!
:) Luna

Rusty Neon

I'm rediscovering the Gareth Knight Tarot deck. It's out-of-print but available in some stores with old inventory. Despite some negative reviews, the cards (including the pips) are vibrant and interesting.

Aun ... How fortunate of you to get such a gift as Clark's deck. That deck is so rarely seen.

Parzival

Thoth-like decks

The Via, which I find profound but strange; and Tarot of the Spirit,with its swirling,vibrant,sometimes geometric patterns.

Macavity

A few more "work-alikes" in Barrett's Ancient Egyptian, Losche's Cosmic Tarot, and (again) the new Stars Eternal. Maybe even DuQuette's Ceremonial Magick too... Wish I had a "Via" anyway ;)

Macavity

Hedera

Cosmic Tribe, of course.....;)

(all the cards here: http://www.stevee.com/pages/t.fs.html )

Also the Parrott tarot, the Vision Quest, and even the Jolanda den Tredjes (Swedish Witch deck) is very heavily Thoth-based!

All lovely decks, in very different ways.

The Cosmic Tribe doesn't have keywords, which I highly appreciate.

Edited to add; the Haindl too, of course, how could I forget.
I think if you do a search for 'thoth-clones' or 'thoth workalikes' you could find a lot more.

Alta

Rusty Neon said:
Aun... How fortunate of you to get such a gift as Clark's deck. That deck is so rarely seen.
I got the Magickal Tarot by Anthony Clark fro tarotgarden around Christmas last year. I was deeply into Thoth and wanted some related decks for study and interest. So it is likely still around some places, though I see that Jeannette and Dan now list is as 'unavailable'. Maybe in stores.

Edited to add that I just purchased the Gareth Knight deck in a local bookstore yesterday, so if anyone is interested it is likely still around in the odd place that hasn't sold their decks yet.

Aun

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I've already researched on each of the above mentioned decks, and my wishlist is huge as of now...

I must mention that I couldn't help myself, and placed an order for the Via... a little expensive since its german (around US $36)... what a beautiful deck!!!

The Liber-T will be the next one.