Crowley's Divinatory Method

Aun

Hi all

Has anyone here ever tried that 4-operation divinatory method suggested by Crowley on the Book of Thoth?
(Also available on Duquette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, and on the new large version (green box) LWB from USGames)

The method seems very complex and I got confused already in the first operation, part 6, when you're supposed to count the cards.

One other interesting thing is that if the chosen significator is not found in the right stack according to the area of the question (finances, love, trouble, work) one should ABANDON the divination... I'd like to know what others think of that...

Macavity

Yes, but... :D

Anyway, try e.g. http://www.supertarot.co.uk/lessons/16coun.htm

or indeed read Paul Hughes-Barlow's "Tarot and the Magus" Book.

I think the problem with the original description were some critical ambiguities and certain omissions. But indeed some of the "gaps" may have to be filled by personal preference or books such as the above. I don't think any of this stuff is intrinsically difficult - Except there is e.g. scope for "loosing count"! And sadly (IMO), there is the (traditional) "technophobic" aspect with which these techniques have become associated... })

As for "abandoning readings", I sense a certain playing to fantasy? ;)

Macavity

Aun

Hi Macavity,

Hughes-Barlow's book was already on my wish-list, but after reading your (great) review, it went right to the top of the list.

It will definitely shed light on the questions I have on several subjects discussed on Super-Tarot.

thanks for your inputs.

Emily

I wonder if Crowley or Lady Harris had a set of Thoth cards? Would they have tried to see how the illustrations would look on actual cards?

Its strange to think that if they didn't have like a trial run of the deck then neither Crowley or Lady Harris would ever have got to shuffle the Thoth deck.