Oracle deck from Ciro!!!

cirom

Thanks for your feedback. Your comments are interesting and I will take them into consideration as I do with all the others. But for clarification, I'm not personally concerned wether the deck would sell well or not, all my tarot projects have pushed the envelope in some way and are risks by that criterea* But I produced them anyway, even if it was to simply have one copy for myself. My questioning of the Oracle market was more to address the doubts I have as to wether a publisher would be interested in sharing that risk, as that would effect how and when the deck would be realized.
*(e.g the ToD was rejected by the major publishers because of its inherent risks).

Personally I agree with your opinion about Oracles decks, and within the scheme and format I'm planning, I believe could work well. But I also recognize that Tarot may be a more used and accepted format and certainly something that publishers will consider. (Just compare how many more members here on Aeclectic are viewing the Tarot section at any given moment compared to the Oracle section).

As for the monetary prize, that is'nt intended as a gimmick to sell more decks. Anyone purchasing only in the hopes of winning would be very foolish. You'd have a better chance of winning the money buying a lottery ticket. Its simply intended to add some extra spice to the challenge, even though the vast majority will participate simply for the fun of it.

dvorah ophir

to ciro

thanks for replying and taking my opinon.
i see what you say about the riddle money and understand.
i do also have to say again about the oracle cards that i beleive it to be a growing thing-you must remember that this site is first a tarot site and not an oracle site and that tarot has a longer history-that is why there are relatively more tarot people on the forum. if you look at the whole thing as i see it the realy great tarot like the rider white or thoth that had a lot of work and years of almost scientific study into them will last longer then just the drawing that are copies , altgho i also see the tarot themself as a developing and ever developing oracle-only the mane structer is build in. i beleive that the oracle cards will be a phase that only some of which will last longer- it depends on how good it is specificaly-lets say for example your own new one-if you dedicate more atention to each picture and give it more deep and universal symbolisem, then comes each card as a part of the whole deck-place wise-that is what is the theme of the oracle as a whole and where does each card belong in the number and place. it should not be tarot but a new thing but then again it should be thghot of as deeply as the tarot-but new creation that is just as comlex and complete. then comes what you call or name or write on eace card, and then the book itself which should be just as deep and intresting with new and specific spreads. i think that an oracle deck should work without a book-that is intuetively but sould not be without the book that will give it the extra intrest and further knowlege that will come from the creator of the cards to the new owner of the cards.
i hope you will take all this in consideration and more into making this oracle so that like the tarot of rider and crowly will be everlasting-perhaps if it is realy good you will make a prototipe for the oracle of the future and will have other oracle decks making crones of your oracle...
good luck dvorah

HearthCricket

What a beautiful picture, Ciro! It gave me the feeling of someone ethereal, elegant and almost celestial, with a dash of possibly hidden deceit under all that loveliness. I saw Marie Antoinette. Blues and white, soft colours, diamonds and masques, a Queen, but under it all someone never fully understood, or hiding their true identity under their feathers. Someone who might be put up on a pedestal, but for the wrong reasons. Unmask them and they might fall to the ground. Not sure if this is even close to what you meant for this card, but that was my first impressions! I am tremendously excited that you are doing an oracle deck. A dream come true, for me at least!

Sheri

I am also VERY excited that Ciro is doing an Oracle. I don't think Oracles get the respect here that they deserve, but they are a viable product globally. I for one enjoy the freedom that comes with using oracles versus Tarot because of all the "baggage" that comes along with the Tarot.

:love: Sheri

rif

I think there are different "flavors" of oracle. The European oracles -- Lenormand, Gipsy (or Gypsy) cards, Sibillas -- are one style; then there is what I think of as individualistic oracles, such as Froud's Fairies, Madame Endora's and... well, I don't really know much about those kinds of decks. :D

I love divination with the European oracles, they lend themselves to what I find to be a very fun and fluid style of reading, due to the interactions of the cards in a reading. They don't strike me as meditation aids, although anything could be meditated upon, really.

So I'm really curious about the style of this deck in terms of how it will be intended for use in divination.

dvorah ophir

i find the transition that had ocured in the last yeas from tarot to oracle cards somewhat like the shift of weghit from cinema to televition.all the early years it was the cinema that was serios and real art and the big stars preferd to act in cinema, to go from the tv to the big screen.
all that has changed and today it is evident that televition can be serios art form with all the graet scripts and writers and acters.now the big stars from the big screen go to the televition and make something that is just as deep and everlasting.they make art and not trash.
same goes for the oracle cards.the artists will have the freedom not bound by the build in structer of the tarot to create something that is totaly new.
obviously first there were the playing cards and all the lenormand cards. but then came doreen virtio decks and others and after that the artists themselfs made theire own decks.
i think the oracles has great potencial because it is not tarot and has that new freedom to do what you want without having to depend on anything that was there before.
it is a clean canvas,but i think that to make a realy great one and to take the oracle market one more steap you have to make something big and important, and not just another oracle deck.you have to put in more thinking and planing to it .
i think the first step is what is the concept of this deck-that is the first question that i will ask myself if i were to create an oracle deck(not yet-i dont draw so not me)
these are more of my thoghts in this matter.

souljourney

Personally I do not think you will have any problem with a publisher picking this deck up. You are a "known" in the divination world... Your Gilded deck is available in two forms and I think is up there as far as best sellers. Plus the Legacy deck is amazing...

I would think the publisher that is doing the Transparent Tarot and Oracle might be a place to try. They took a risk, and are a smaller publisher than Llewellyn or US Games...

Either way I'm buying it... Still need to get my "MM" ToD. I have the limited edition.

Granville

souljourney said:
Personally I do not think you will have any problem with a publisher picking this deck up. You are a "known" in the divination world... Your Gilded deck is available in two forms and I think is up there as far as best sellers. Plus the Legacy deck is amazing...

I would think the publisher that is doing the Transparent Tarot and Oracle might be a place to try. They took a risk, and are a smaller publisher than Llewellyn or US Games...

Either way I'm buying it... Still need to get my "MM" ToD. I have the limited edition.
Ditto.....IMHO the MM ToD is the absolute perfect tarot. Ciro.....I can not wait for this oracle. Consider my pre-order submitted.

Mellaenn

Ciro, as ever I am a huge fan and I am happily anticipating your oracle deck. I liked the sample you posted here and I agree with Hearthcricket's read of it.

Will we get a peek of anything else at the January meetup?

Donna Huntriss

Money gimmick?

I am not sure that winning a $1000 is a good gimmick. You want people to be more interested in your deck. It may attract the wrong type of interest and perhaps not generate or enhance the message or art of the Oracle you are creating.
Though I do like the image you have attached.