The Wild Unknown Tarot - II Wands

Sulis

This is a very colourful card.
The colours of the rainbow form the background, in fact it's almost as if we're in that rainbow or flying just above it - just about to go over the rainbow :).

2 vertical Wands point slightly diagonally inwards as if they are facing away from us, the handles towards our hands. They remind me of chopsticks or they could be a road, a path, a bridge or a doorway... A doorway, path or bridge over the rainbow.

2s for me are related to The High Priestess, they are the pause that happens after the burst of energy that comes with the Ace. They are the tiny bit of time when we wonder what to do with that energy, they are the decision making process, the look within, the balancing point before the decision when the energy tips one way or another. They are by their very nature, temporary.. Nothing can be held in balance for too long, something has to give.

With the 2 Wands, there has been a burst or flash or inspiration or action with the Ace and with the 2 we get that feeling that we want more, it's filled with potential, anything is possible and the rainbow colours in this card make me think that anything really is possible.
In the RWS 2 Wands there is that sense of dissatisfaction; the guy stands on his castle, with the World quite literally in his hand, gazing out at what he could have, what he could do, if only he could find it in himself to step over that low wall, leave behind what he has already got and go in search of what could be.

This card in The Wild Unknown really says that better things are out there but we need to decide to go for it, it's up to us, we need to follow that road, walk through that doorway, pick up those chopsticks ;).

Looking at this card made me think of the colour spectrum.. A rainbow shows the same colours that are represented in depictions of the chakra system but they're the other way around. With chakras the base chakra is red and the colours work up to indigo (on the bottom in the rainbow)..
In this image the wands originate in the indigo section and point towards the red - could they be reminding us to follow our dreams and subconscious urges (indigo) but to remain grounded (red)? Maybe and maybe I'm thinking this through too much ;).

Attachments

• 2 Wands.jpg
    2 Wands.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 902

Sagefire

Sulis, I love your description of the doorway/threshold/chopsticks aspects of this card, all of your interpretations are beautifully apt. As I am more familiar with RWS I always thought of the 2 of Wands as a doorway, I never thought about it as a road before looking at this card. The chopsticks and bridge are awesome comparisons that I never would have realized had you not mentioned them.

I have trouble following through, so this card has always been a big mysterious and magical to me. My first impressions was the aforementioned doorway, and then it made me think of...like two electrodes just about to touch. The gradation on the wands implies a flow of energy from the base of the wand to the tip, without being too explosive, like the Ace. After reading your post another thing came to mind too, how the card has a lot of lateral movement within the background. It made me think of math/philosophy, the shortest path between two points is a straight line...sometimes this is hard to see in real life.

I didn't give much thought to the color direction, but if I had to put an interpretation on it I would say... Purple and blue are the more high frequency, intellectual colors of the spectrum, while reds and oranges are more deep and primal. The purple is next to the "handle" of the wand, while the the "business" end is next to the red. Implying that we must direct our conscious/mental energies towards a goal or passion in order to accomplish things.

I just got this deck as a Christmas present for myself, it was on my tarot wishlist and I found it suddenly while shopping at Urban Outfitters(?!). I told my family I would rather get it for myself than get it under the tree... I've been strangely drawn to it's unconventional images for the last two days and got on here straightaway to see about study group. Hooray!! :party:

Sulis

Sagefire said:
After reading your post another thing came to mind too, how the card has a lot of lateral movement within the background. It made me think of math/philosophy, the shortest path between two points is a straight line...sometimes this is hard to see in real life.

Wow! I love this.. Thank you..

Karrma

"Two sticks, I feel like it is a February branch, there are slight nodes that could branch and bloom and grow, but not yet. They are leaning towards each other, but not touching. It is two dimensional card, the branches may not actually be meeting. If they are, it is still a fragile position, easily knocked over, unless there is a firm grounding at base. Darkness and dreams at the base, white light or blanched dead, at the tips, exposed and vulnerable. But there is an equality, both branches are in the same position, taking the same risks. In the back ground is a rainbow of colors: purple and blue at the base, and green/yellow at a horizon, and red at the top, like an early sunrise or sunset over the ocean with a slight mist.

Pixna

The word that comes to my mind with this image is "reaching" -- like two arms reaching for a high and lofty goal. The rainbow colors in the reverse chakras seem to show that manifesting the goal is what is being striven for. The two branches signify teamwork to me -- whether the teamwork of two arms, two ideas, two people (or two chopsticks, Sulis!). The two wands need each other, because one alone can only touch the goal but cannot grasp it.

Sulis

The word that comes to my mind with this image is "reaching" -- like two arms reaching for a high and lofty goal.

I love this.. They are reaching and they're reaching over and beyond the rainbow...
Thanks Pixna :).

danieljuk

I had this card come up for me recently and it really reminded me of the rainbow crossings that have popped up around the world. I see the wands as branches but the rainbow part as the way forwards.

I thought about my comparison here. Those rainbow crossings were painted in various cities as a temporary thing during their Pride or Mardi Gras celebrations. When they were painted over, people complained and also many of them have caused controversy and rows. But they became a focal point and people visited them and took photos. Some of those crossings are now becoming permanent features.

They represent equality and freedom. People can cross those crossings with safety from the road and also safety to be whoever they are, represent themselves as how they want and can love who they want.

Taking it back to the card, I think this shows finding the direction or path forwards but the crossing is safe. You have the freedom to be exactly who you are and walk forwards. It's a guide with boundaries (with the wand borders) of your direction, keeping you safe. But you have to take steps forwards along it to progress.