In Praise of Odd-Sized Decks

Padma

Tarot Salad, dressed with yarrow stalks (I Ching) and anointing oils. I like it.

It was Emmsma who said that, about her deck in a bowl :) She would pick one every morning before leaving the house.

I miss Emmsma! :(

Nickigirl

My favourite tiniest deck is the Lenormand de Marseilles Mini, and I love my pocket-sized Universal RWS. I trimmed my Mystical Lenormand and now it's tiny and awesome. Can't think of any large sizes I like. I like the Circle of Life which is round and has intriguing images, but it does seem too large for shuffling. I have only used it briefly but I like the way the cards can land at any angle. I think that it might bring something interesting to the reading. Kitty photo to come. šŸ˜œ

Glennmaicha

Thank you for your praise of my cat. He's definitely very special.

I'm loving my minuscule Thoth so much that I'm tempted to trim my Centennial RWS in a Tin... But it fits so nicely in the tin as it is.

I'd be very interested in seeing this giant RWS sometime. I feel like I would likely put my favourite cards on a wall. Unfortunately, I have trouble shuffling cards larger than standard tarot decks... Which is why I love minis.

Padma

Thank you for your praise of my cat. He's definitely very special.

I'm loving my minuscule Thoth so much that I'm tempted to trim my Centennial RWS in a Tin... But it fits so nicely in the tin as it is.

I'd be very interested in seeing this giant RWS sometime. I feel like I would likely put my favourite cards on a wall. Unfortunately, I have trouble shuffling cards larger than standard tarot decks... Which is why I love minis.

Glennmaicha! I LOVE your cat! :D :love: forgive me for omitting that earlier! I also love your avvie, featuring your lovely baby... :heart:

To stay on topic - yeah, I don't like super large decks either. While I love my Daniloff, the longer cards and sharp edges make it really a pain to shuffle with these smaller hands...

@ Laura - LOVE your new avvie! And yes, it's fresh! ;)

Laura Borealis

It was Emmsma who said that, about her deck in a bowl :) She would pick one every morning before leaving the house.

I miss Emmsma! :(

Me too! I wonder how she's doing.

Glennmaicha! I LOVE your cat! :D :love: forgie me fr omitting that earlier! I also love your avvie, featuring your lovely baby... :heart:

To stay on topic - yeah, I don't like super large decks either. While I love my Daniloff, the longer cards and sharp edges make it really a pain to shuffle with these smaller hands...

@ Laura - LOVE your new avvie! And yes, it's fresh! ;)

Thanks! :D

I like the look of big cards all spread out, though for ease of use, small is definitely better. *nods* I'd love to have a mass-market style Daniloff for everyday purposes. I kept hoping LoS would pick it up.

Laura Borealis

Another oversized deck (though not as big as some mentioned here) is Laura Tuan's Tarocchi Celtici, aka les Tarots Celtiques. Besides being large, they have square corners, and are printed on papery cardstock with a rough surface like watercolor paper. Each suit, and the trumps, are printed on a different color paper - the background color isn't printed on.

The detail would be impossible to make out if they were any smaller. It's not super easy as is. I haven't really tried to make a study of it yet but I believe there is a coherent system in it with the trees that are associated with each pip card. It's an odd one to be sure!

Attachments

• Celtiques.jpg
    Celtiques.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 69

gregory

Another oversized deck (though not as big as some mentioned here) is Laura Tuan's Tarocchi Celtici, aka les Tarots Celtiques. Besides being large, they have square corners, and are printed on papery cardstock with a rough surface like watercolor paper. Each suit, and the trumps, are printed on a different color paper - the background color isn't printed on.

The detail would be impossible to make out if they were any smaller. It's not super easy as is. I haven't really tried to make a study of it yet but I believe there is a coherent system in it with the trees that are associated with each pip card. It's an odd one to be sure!
There are several of hers like that.

Didn't MiShell start threads about those tree associations ?

ETA yeah:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=197143
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=3999548

Laura Borealis

She did, but I haven't looked at them in forever.

rylla

Belline. It's the perfect size for that deck.
Black Lily. I can't imagine that deck in a smaller size.

These are not really odd-sized decks, but aren't standard size either.

...once I had the Heliodoro, it was huge! I throughout enjoyed it.

..and I might be all alone:( in this one, but I don't mind the size of the Gorgon's either (I mean the bigger sized deck). My LE Prague is gorgeous as well. I don't mind any other inconvenience when it comes to enjoying the art.

gregory

YES to the Heliodoro. WONDERFUL deck.

And no, I was OK with the huge Gorgon's too :)