User Experiences of Tarot Card Design

CrystalSeas

These posts are about coming to a consensus about what size fits well in most hands, not just the modifier subset.

Have you ever seen a glove size chart? I can't even buy women's gloves unless they are from a high-end shop that actually includes women's 8 1/2 in its size range.

In just standard sizes (not including half sizes) there are 12 different hand sizes accommodated.

Not sure how you intend to come to a consensus about what size a deck should be to fit "most" hands. Most men's hands? Most women's hands?

http://www.leatherglovesonline.com/np/sizing.htm

G6

Have you ever seen a glove size chart? I can't even buy women's gloves unless they are from a high-end shop that actually includes women's 8 1/2 in its size range.

In just standard sizes (not including half sizes) there are 12 different hand sizes accommodated.

Not sure how you intend to come to a consensus about what size a deck should be to fit "most" hands. Most men's hands? Most women's hands?

I'm going to take a poll on this forum.

gregory

:bugeyed:

Oh, wow. I immediately want and desire it, uncut. That sounds tacky and dreadful - I love it!
Post an ISO. There are people here who backed it on indiegogo, and were totally outraged by the whole business, who may be prepared to part with theirs.

Here it is - but note - the cards are NOT large format at all. We backers would have been OK with the smaller size, but NOT with the bottom part....

I don't have large hands, but I do play the piano. I think it is more how you can move and stretch your hands that makes the big difference. I have no idea what glove size I am, but I take medium Marigolds... and large ones fall off my hands, as I discovered the other day when pulling nettles.....

G6

Post an ISO. There are people here who backed it on indiegogo, and were totally outraged by the whole business, who may be prepared to part with theirs.

Here it is - but note - the cards are NOT large format at all. We backers would have been OK with the smaller size, but NOT with the bottom part....

I don't have large hands, but I do play the piano. I think it is more how you can move and stretch your hands that makes the big difference. I have no idea what glove size I am, but I take medium Marigolds... and large ones fall off my hands, as I discovered the other day when pulling nettles.....

Gee look, another deck that is ripe for modification due to poor design choices. When I'm reading tarot I know I like to be distracted by artist bio blurbs on the cards, don't you?

gregory

And it is really nice TRIMMED !

lark

I think the only deck I've trimmed has been the Druidcraft and I love the look now and use it often.
I'm eyeing up the Mary El though and think it will probably be trimmed in the near future.

Jolanda is my problem at the moment...those big purple borders, the way the bug is placed on the back.
And the way the words and numbers are placed on the deck front will make it a mess to trim...so I will leave it as is or sell it on soon.
It has other issues, but if I could have freed up the pictures I might have worked with it more.

bonebeach

Right!

I mean, if I accidentally buy the wrong size cheap dish washing gloves, even, it's a pain and I can't wear them. I own one pair of nice opera length gloves and I was definitely measured for those. Standardizing that kind of thing is haaard. You might as well try to decide what size shoe "most" tarot people wear...and even then, there's a self selection bias if you poll the people here and consider that representative, because we're all people nuts enough to sign up for a niche forum. I'm not even sure what percentage of the usual market we are.

Still, I love data. Who knows? Maybe some interesting insights can be had with enough polls.

Laura Borealis

Besides hand size, you need to factor in shuffling style. A deck that's too big for overhand shuffling might be fine for riffling. When I first started reading people's complaints about decks too big to shuffle, it confused me, because I didn't have trouble with large decks. Then I realized these people aren't riffling...

G6

Right!

I mean, if I accidentally buy the wrong size cheap dish washing gloves, even, it's a pain and I can't wear them. I own one pair of nice opera length gloves and I was definitely measured for those. Standardizing that kind of thing is haaard. You might as well try to decide what size shoe "most" tarot people wear...and even then, there's a self selection bias if you poll the people here and consider that representative, because we're all people nuts enough to sign up for a niche forum. I'm not even sure what percentage of the usual market we are.

Still, I love data. Who knows? Maybe some interesting insights can be had with enough polls.

This comparison of gloves is not equal. A deck does not fit over the hand. A deck is not a fitted item like a glove, a shoe or underwear. I would argue a 2.5 inch width deck can be cradled by all for overhand shuffling.

All you need is average palm span and distance of thumb to middle fingers. You would go smaller, so that it at least works for everyone. Again, I think LoScar already figured this out. They used to have the multi-language titles, so obviously their decks have the mass appeal of a global market in mind.

gregory

Average size is not the same as average being able to shuffle in your hands. Nisaba is a case in point. She can shuffle ANYTHING. And her hands are if anything smaller than mine, as I recall. Whereas I know someone with great big hands who can ONLY riffle (luckily she only needs to shuffle playing cards :D).