In Praise of Odd-Sized Decks

Laura Borealis

Tarot decks come in all different sizes and shapes, and personally I think that's something to celebrate! So let's chat about our favorite minis, giants, round decks, hexagonal decks, and whatever weird and wonderful decks you love.

These are my Osho Zen minis. It's a majors-only set that came in the back of a book called Tarot and the Spirit of Zen or something like that. You had to punch them out, so they have pleasantly rough edges. I shuffle them by stirring them around with a fingertip, that's how small they are.

• So tiny and cute!
  • I keep them in a matchbox
  • and it's a really small matchbox
  • and they're still too small for it!
  • Did I mention they are tiny? :D

So what are some of your favorites?

Pictures would be great! Feel free to include a bird or animal for reference!

Attachments

• Osho Zen minis.jpg
    Osho Zen minis.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Osho minis vs average sized cat.jpg
    Osho minis vs average sized cat.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 198

Crowlove

Hi!

This thread came at the most synchronistic of times since I JUST received The Giant RWS deck a couple of days ago. I really do enjoy the odd size & not just because the images stand out but because of the way they feel in my hands & how I feel when I look at them.

On to The Motherpeace Tarot deck, in the regular size (there is a mini edition). I am very fond of this deck for so may reasons. Shaped like a circle, I found it odd to handle at first, but it didn't take long to LOVE that aspect of the deck. The circular shape allows the cards to flow in my hands. It's fitting to how I feel when I use the deck.

Interested in others experiences with odd shaped & sized decks, great thread!

Peace.

Michellehihi

When I first bought the giant RWS I thought it was monstruous. I did a collage with it. Then I regretted it and I started to unglue them one by one. I rescued them but let's say they are in a miserable state now....
I love round decks, a circle for me signifies sharing, equanimity, security, inclusion.
I once saw a deck that was in shape of a heart. I wanted it so bad just for the shape, I didn't care about the images on the cards....
Then there is the Deva Tarot, whose cards are square and big and thick as coasters....but I love it, it is so different.
Ah! Also La Corte del Tarocchi with the long rectangular cards...lovely!

Crowlove

to Michellehihi

The Deva Tarot with it's thick-as-coasters card stock appeals to me. I really think that's a major reason that I love The Wild Unknown Tarot deck as much as I do. The feeling of the cardstock triggers something for me. Textures & the way light reflects off a deck is also a big trigger.

Dee Ell

Laura Borealis - I love the pic of your deck with your kitty!! (I have an all black cat with yellow-green eyes myself šŸ˜Š )

I've always wanted a round deck but wasn't sure how they'd feel in a spread rather than just as an oracle... Opinions?

gregory

I LOVE those mini Osho Zens. I don't even like the DECK - but I love those. Also I love my even smaller Meneghello ones - I will take pix later - it's bedtime. But they are TINY - about 1 cm tall, in a tiny bookshelf thing (I didn't have that, as I saw it and it is really hard to get the decks in and out, so I got them loose). I do admit I couldn't read with them.

For SHAPE - Le Corte dei Tarocchi.

Oh and I just got the Lo Scarabeo Golden Wirth majors. BLINGY and FABULOUS ! (and large.) 14.5 cm x 8 cm. Gold foil. SHINEEEE !

http://www.alidastore.com/images/goldenwirth/grande.jpg does NOT do it justice.

Can I mention one shape that I think DIDN'T work ?

Nemia

I have two mini decks, Pagan Cats and Harmonious, and I like both. A tiny bit larger would have been better, my aging hands are no longer nimble enough to shuffle them with ease, but I use them regularly. They're easy to take along anywhere.

I de-bordered my Blue Owl Lenormand and now it's quite small, too. It fits into a tin box I made for it.

I like my mini decks, maybe because I'm used to small cards. I'm a patience player since 1976 ;-) and very often have a deck of little playing cards with me, too.

Laura Borealis

Hi!

This thread came at the most synchronistic of times since I JUST received The Giant RWS deck a couple of days ago. I really do enjoy the odd size & not just because the images stand out but because of the way they feel in my hands & how I feel when I look at them.

On to The Motherpeace Tarot deck, in the regular size (there is a mini edition). I am very fond of this deck for so may reasons. Shaped like a circle, I found it odd to handle at first, but it didn't take long to LOVE that aspect of the deck. The circular shape allows the cards to flow in my hands. It's fitting to how I feel when I use the deck.

Interested in others experiences with odd shaped & sized decks, great thread!

Peace.

I'd love to see the Giant RWS sometime. The actual cards I mean - I've seen it in stores. It must really be something to hold them or have them spread out in front of you.

The idea of round decks is so intriguing, I haven't found just the right one yet but I like how you described them flowing in your hands - sounds very cool!

When I first bought the giant RWS I thought it was monstruous. I did a collage with it. Then I regretted it and I started to unglue them one by one. I rescued them but let's say they are in a miserable state now....
I love round decks, a circle for me signifies sharing, equanimity, security, inclusion.
I once saw a deck that was in shape of a heart. I wanted it so bad just for the shape, I didn't care about the images on the cards....
Then there is the Deva Tarot, whose cards are square and big and thick as coasters....but I love it, it is so different.
Ah! Also La Corte del Tarocchi with the long rectangular cards...lovely!

Oh no... that collage :laugh:

Was the heart-shaped one this one?

I just looked up the Deva and Corte del Tarocchi and they look pretty cool! Coasters eh? I seem to recall someone in another thread saying they were going to make actual coasters out of cards, but I think it was another deck. ;)

The Deva Tarot with it's thick-as-coasters card stock appeals to me. I really think that's a major reason that I love The Wild Unknown Tarot deck as much as I do. The feeling of the cardstock triggers something for me. Textures & the way light reflects off a deck is also a big trigger.

I know what you mean, the more senses brought into play, the better!

Laura Borealis - I love the pic of your deck with your kitty!! (I have an all black cat with yellow-green eyes myself šŸ˜Š )

I've always wanted a round deck but wasn't sure how they'd feel in a spread rather than just as an oracle... Opinions?

My kitty thanks you :) Your black cat sounds lovely!

I've been on the fence with round decks - I will probably get one eventually but so far I haven't met the right one. I too wonder how they will feel in a spread.

I LOVE those mini Osho Zens. I don't even like the DECK - but I love those. Also I love my even smaller Meneghello ones - I will take pix later - it's bedtime. But they are TINY - about 1 cm tall, in a tiny bookshelf thing. I do admit I couldn't read with them.

For SHAPE - Le Corte dei Tarocchi.

Oh and I just got the Lo Scarabeo Golden Wirth majors. BLINGY and FABULOUS ! (and large.) 14.5 cm x 8 cm. Gold foil. SHINEEEE !

http://www.alidastore.com/images/goldenwirth/grande.jpg does NOT do it justice.

Can I mention one shape that I think DIDN'T work ?

Of course you can, and now I'm curious. What shape?

Those Oswald Wirth cards look gorgeous and if the photo doesn't do them justice, they must be spectacular. I do like a bit of bling! (though let's face it, I also like tacky things :laugh:)

I have two mini decks, Pagan Cats and Harmonious, and I like both. A tiny bit larger would have been better, my aging hands are no longer nimble enough to shuffle them with ease, but I use them regularly. They're easy to take along anywhere.

I de-bordered my Blue Owl Lenormand and now it's quite small, too. It fits into a tin box I made for it.

I like my mini decks, maybe because I'm used to small cards. I'm a patience player since 1976 ;-) and very often have a deck of little playing cards with me, too.

These are lovely little decks, thank you for showing pictures! The Lenormand looks like a bit of perfection. :heart:

Michellehihi

Heart shape deck - for Laurea

No it was not that one (it was a silly bubble gum oracle) but I looooove this deck whose link you posted!!!!!!

ETA sorry I wrote your name Laurea and it is Laura!

Laura Borealis

A bubble gum oracle sounds so cute :eek:

No worries on the typo, it happens!