How to read relationships in Celtic cross?

Librasun

Hi all, i have always wondered how to read the possibilities of a relationship with someone using Celtic cross?

For instance: if I were ask "what are the chances of being in a long term romantic relationship with x? Or: " what do I need to know about a possible relationship with x." I always ask ... What am I allowed to know so as not to infringe on the other person's privacy. But ... Then I don't know how to read what is coming from me and what cards relate to him. Do I read them all as advice for self? I can give random examples if that would help...

Thanks for any feedback. ❤️

Barleywine

Hi all, i have always wondered how to read the possibilities of a relationship with someone using Celtic cross?

For instance: if I were ask "what are the chances of being in a long term romantic relationship with x? Or: " what do I need to know about a possible relationship with x." I always ask ... What am I allowed to know so as not to infringe on the other person's privacy. But ... Then I don't know how to read what is coming from me and what cards relate to him. Do I read them all as advice for self? I can give random examples if that would help...

Thanks for any feedback. ❤️

In the Celtic Cross, the 8th card reflecting external influences received from both the querent's immediate surroundings and other people involved in the situation would be one place to look (the key idea being "received by the querent"). The other "environmental" card, expressing the circumstances of the matter itself (Card 1 or the "covering" card), I would look at similarly if there happened to be a court card there. Actually, anywhere a court cards appears could show some sort of personal interaction, but more from the querent's perspective than that of the other person. I would read these mainly as the "stance" the other person might take toward the querent, not that person's experience of, or reaction to, the querent's actions.

I use the Celtic Cross almost entirely for broader "situational awareness" insights about the querent's experience of the matter rather than to determine how one person might express feelings for another. I created separate spreads for the latter. Here's one of them: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=233410

Librasun

Hi barleywine

Thank you for clarifying. I still find it confusing but maybe I can meditate on your answer a bit. I often get court cards as final outcome (like the king of wands) and wonder if that means I get the guy in the end ☺️ But I know that we can't really read how someone else feels about
us .. Is that right? Because that would be intrusive? Or did the spreads that you mentioned creating address that? if so, have you posted them here? I will search the forums.

I have been trying to learn tarot for so long and there is still so much to learn. It is fascinating and beautiful and maddening at the same time!

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and help explain this to me.

Take care

Librasun

Oops .. Just saw your spread

I just saw that you listed your spread. Thank you!!!!

Barleywine

Some people, when getting a court card as the "outcome," will use that court card as the significator for a new CC spread, hoping to shed more light on the overall significance of the person indicated in the querent's situation. Personally, I've never done that. You will get different opinions here about the validity of trying to read someone else's feelings with tarot; I don't necessarily find it unethical, just unconvincing.

Librasun

That's interesting .. Because I think that's what most people "really" want to know when they ask for or do readings... Ok I admit (I do!) what does the other person think of me and what are their intentions? I suppose it's good to refer back to the idea of ... You can't control what other people think or how they act, but you can control your own actions. Thank you again.

nisaba

For instance: if I were ask "what are the chances of being in a long term romantic relationship with x? Or: " what do I need to know about a possible relationship with x."

I find the Celtic Cross is an awkward spread for most questions. Yes, it looks good on the table, but it doesn't often focus in on what you really need. If you have some particular reason why you use this spread above all others (like, say, a vow that you'd use it for a given period of time), then by all means ... but again, it's not an easy spread to use for interpersonal stuff between two people.

I find something like this much more helpful for family relationships, love-relationships, even work relationships, and much clearer to read.

Barleywine

I find the Celtic Cross is an awkward spread for most questions. Yes, it looks good on the table, but it doesn't often focus in on what you really need. If you have some particular reason why you use this spread above all others (like, say, a vow that you'd use it for a given period of time), then by all means ... but again, it's not an easy spread to use for interpersonal stuff between two people.

I agree that the CC isn't very good for narrowly-framed questions of any kind (although it can certainly be done); it's much better for "situations" that transpire over a one-to-three month period of time. It's at its best as a general "look-ahead" spread rather than a question-and-answer machine. A variety of unexpected answers may emerge in the process, but they're usually incidental to the main thrust of the narrative.

Librasun

And this is why i am loving this forum. Such knowledge explained so clearly from both of you.... And thank you Barelywine and Nisaba for sharing your spreads. I think it is time to break away from the "safety" of the cc! Really appreciate your time and sharing your experience to help me. Best xx

nisaba

<smile> You're absolutely welcome.