Do Your Decks "Play Nice"?

Babylon_Jasmine

vernissage said:
Such interesitng replies: I didn't think I was the only one who noticed these things, really.

Babylon_Jasmine, I wonder why your Thoth deck seems to be friendlier than mine?

Might depend on your outlook on Aliester Crowley who created the deck.

Julien

Okay, I'm joining this really, really late but I was so relieved when I started to read this thread, because I thought I was nuts... For years, I read with my RWS and my New Palladini -- NP was my favorite deck of my decks... Used it all the time with RWS or by itself... Then, one day, I got ahold of the Robin Wood, and started reading regularly with it... Then on another day, I tried to use my New Palladini to help with clarifications as I was doing a big spread with my RW...

I SWEAR NP was jealous and not giving good responses. I've never ever tried it again... It was like having two spoiled 5 year olds at the dinner table during a party where your boss is among the guests... From now on, the kids have to eat in seperate rooms!

Julien

Lasiren

I just did a couple 2-card readings to see if my Vampires tarot deck would get along with my newest addition: The Golden Tarot.

For some reason, I didn't think they would get along, but last night when I asked my deck what it thought, I pulled the 4 of Wands and the 9 of Cups.
This morning, when I asked again, I drew the Ace of Cups and 9 of Pentacles.
Sounds like the Vampires are very happy to have a new companion!

vernissage

Babylon_Jasmine said:
Might depend on your outlook on Aliester Crowley who created the deck.

I have practically no negative thoughts about Aleister, honesty. I read "Do As Thou Wilt" last year and loved it. I accept what he did, I respect what he attempted and I don't argue whether or not any of it was 'right' or 'wrong'. He made mistakes, yes, some of them were larger than others, but we all make mistakes. If he were still around and I encountered him, I'd be a little intimidated and very respectful.

But, it is an interesting thought. Perhaps the deck wished I were more intimidated?

- V.

paradoxx

The Cosmic Tarot by Norbert Loshe is like Thoth merged into the Waite/Coleman. It works well with both Thoth (as some of the symbols are directly related to Thoth) and the pictoral style we have come to be familiar with in the Waite, Palladini, and Woods decks.

Not so much the attitude of the deck, but the nature of the question is what makes the readings a challange at times. It's when you have pairs of cards from different decks that is when the information is trying to catch your attention.

bladeraven

magpie9 said:
I have to agree with Emeraldgirl, the fae and thoth are just not a match. I think it would be like dropping a building on a teeny widdle fairy. Tinkerbell meets Godzilla. :eek:
I sometimes use 2 decks together, but I look for pairings that compliment each other. the Osho Zen is really good for this, it gets along with every deck I've ever used it with.
Personally, I don't care for the thoth, but a thoth-like deck that might get along with the fae is Eakins " tarot of the Spirit".

You know you are tired when.........lol

Thoth is good...but it's harsh cards...and Thoth and Fairy..that's just so not right........

Unedifying

I've only had my three decks for a week or so and I can feel the same sorts of vibes. Both my Animals Divine and Fantastical decks are ones that are always eager advice givers; but the Fantastical is very formal and prideful where where my Animals Divine is quite a bit more lax and.. unformal.

You can see where a bit of hostility can come in. When I'm using my Animals Divine Deck and my Fantastical and Revelations are next to me, (I always keep my decks together), I can honestly feel the Fantastical giving little huffs once in a while. ('So immature!' 'Why can't that deck be moer serious?')

It's not a huge difference, but my Fantastical deck will sometimes feel a bit condescending because of its lax nature. My Revelations Deck is just friends with both of them. XD

Mystic_Blue_Jay

I've experimented with using 2 or more decks in my spreads. So far, I've noticed that my Gothic Tarot of Vampires isn't much of a "team player." (I guess it's understandable...)

I like to use the Thoth in comparative readings rather than combination readings. It seems to provide deeper insights to the meaning(s) provided in the spread done by the other deck(s).

Sometimes two decks or more just don't go together. If you still feel that the deck combo isn't working, then maybe you shouldn't force it. Experiment and see what other kind of deck might compliment your faery deck.

SunChariot

Well, my decks have always worked well together so far. The first time I used the Haindl, the Ancestaral Path and the Wheel of Change. I've also used the Tarot of Transformation with the Voyager. And a few other combinations which I can't remember at the moment. :grin:

They have all cooperated well, with each deck picking up where the other left off. They all had such different viewpoints and ways of thinking. It really was like getting advice from different people.

Babs