one book that covers most if not all !!!

Luna-Ocean

thank you everyone for your recommendations !
i had a question though :could we use already used books for learning? does it really matter if the book is new or used ?

I think learning with a used/old book is great, i've recently got a very old book and it still had valuable information that i didn't have when i first started, so i think you will learn and get different perspectives on reading Tarot from different Authors.

Alta

I have found that Mary K. Greer's book Tarot Reversals to be concise and invaluable. She puts in just as much for the upright meanings as for the reversed, and adds lots of points of view for each card. A very solid book.

bogiesan

My only concern about a used book would be one that's been marked up. When I was at the beginning of my tarot journey, I would underline, highlight and circle words and phrases that I felt were important. What I felt was important may not be important to you at all, but seeing it marked up could make you think that it should be important.
So getting a previously owned book shouldn't be a problem. Getting a used book could be.
Rodney

INteresting. I feel precisely the opposite. Marginalia and doodles and dramatic alteration are features I seek in used books of all kinds. To discover a tarot book that had been so worked over would be delcicious. One of the reasons I seekd used decks is the potential for such interactions with the previous owner.

RexMalaki

For meanings I like "Mystical Origins of the Tarot: From Ancient Roots to Modern Usage" by Paul Huson.

It really is an eye opener to see how there have been such different meanings assigned to cards by different tarot "authorities" through time.

Make one realize why the approach in "The Complete Tarot Reader" is really the way to go!

safari

thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions... i now have a clarity for what to go for !!

biddy9

The Ultimate Guide to Tarot Card Meanings

Hi Safari,

I know you have quite a few great suggestions for books, but I would like to add my own eBook which I think could really help you. It is called the Ultimate Guide to Tarot Card Meanings for a reason... 330+ pages of detailed and in-depth card meanings, including upright and reversed meanings. I also include meanings for relationship, career, finance, spiritual, well-being and personality readings.

Read more here:

http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-guides/ultimate-guide-to-tarot-card-meanings/

Thanks, Brigit

Glass Owl

INteresting. I feel precisely the opposite. Marginalia and doodles and dramatic alteration are features I seek in used books of all kinds. To discover a tarot book that had been so worked over would be delcicious. One of the reasons I seekd used decks is the potential for such interactions with the previous owner.
I'd love to find Tarot books with notes too! I remember one time in high school reading a library book - Clan Of The Cave Bear - where someone had highlighted and written notes in the margins - it really was enlightening and helped me understand what I was reading. I had the same thing happen with a few textbooks.

On the other hand, I found an used book where the person obviously didn't believe in using a bookmark and dog-eared almost every page - that bugged me a bit.