"To All Believers"--early life of Pixie Smith

Cerulean

I finally located a lesser-priced copy of the catalogue to an exhibit of Pamela Colman Smith's art as one of the few painters first sponsored by A.Stieglitz at his photographic studio.

Melinda Boyd Parsons as a graduate student selected the thesis sponsored by the two university faculty members, who had also collected items on Pamela Colman Smith--first as a relatively unknown artist. The mention of her as a student of Wesley Dow from the Pratt Institute is noted as well.

I'll post more as I get through it. There's a stronger emphasis on her work as a designer of minature puppet theatres and storytelling bent than I had picked up from the Kaplan biography--I believe Stuart Kaplan's essay is more of a life survey. Holly Volley's website has a good overview of the artworks.

I'll be adding links and see if I can do a brief chronology in outline format.

Cerulean

If the Cary-Yale links above do not save the image search

The main index page:
http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/dl_crosscollex/

Enter "Pamela Colman Smith" or "Pamela Smith" to get the images.

Sometimes my search results vanish after a few minutes, so this an alternative.

Regards,

Cerulean

Cerulean

Bryn Mawr College Special Collections (few images)

http://www.brynmawr.edu/library/speccoll/guides/smithbox.shtml

The play "Harry Morgan" was a staging for children and according to the Encyclopedia of the Tarot, Volume III, the essay of Stuart Kaplan, the dating was in Jamaica--it may be 1896 or 1898. Page 2.

"...Pamela's letters from Jamaica are filled with descriptions and sketches..."

As Mistress of the Half Tree Infant School Kindergarten, with 107 children between ages two and nine, she staged a Chrismas scene performance of her play Harry Morgan. Harry Morgan was a legendary pirate who lived around 1592 and made his career in London and Jamica. The play was enacted in a minature theatre with painted, cutout figres and sets made by Smith."

The link shows some letters and discussion of the production that are property of the college, not shown in Encyclopedia of the Tarot.

Cerulean

Placeholder for other link

placeholder

Ruby7

Thanks for posting all this information Cerulean. I've really enjoyed looking through the artwork and letters.

Ruby7

Skydancer

Fascinating! Thanks ~

Ann *S*

Lillie

I've had a stab at most of the links above, with moderate sucess.

The poor old puter is not always happy going places!

However, what I was hoping I would find is a Photo of Pamela herself.
Is there such a thing?
I would very much like to see what she looked like.

Also Bryn mawr. A Welsh name obviously. (the big hill) Is there a Welsh connection there?
I'm a bit welsh and trying to connect with my 'heritage'!