Antique Lenormand

photokat

I have a few obscure / relatively unknown Lenormands and the one you have is one sweet find.
Those early decks in all their variations might be a clue to the original. I'm quite certain that said original was black and white, and rather simple in terms of artwork.

IheartTarot

Those early decks in all their variations might be a clue to the original. I'm quite certain that said original was black and white, and rather simple in terms of artwork.

Huck, in case you did not know there is now a picture of the Game of Hope on the British Museum website (discussed in this thread).

The earliest known Petit Lenormand (same cards, different name) c1800 is in colour (see BM link in my post above). I saw it described as a Biedermeyer style but based on the date published it must be an earlier style (the Biedermeyer period was 1815-1848 according to Wikipedia).

photokat

The earliest known Petit Lenormand (same cards, different name) c1800 is in colour (see BM link in my post above). I saw it described as a Biedermeyer style but based on the date published it must be an earlier style (the Biedermeyer period was 1815-1848 according to Wikipedia).

Yes, I've seen some of those early decks and they are colored. My gut, however, tells me that they may have been black and white and had astrological symbols.
Not sure if the earliest publications indicate that they are the closest to the original.

But that's just me thinking out loud.

Teheuti

I wonder if the Lenormand motifs could be related to the Game of the Owl, which was originally an Italian game based on the 56 throws of three dice - illustrated by pictures, many of which are found on the Lenormand cards.

http://expositions.bnf.fr/jeux/grand/111.htm

This is, of course, a type of what is know as the race game - Game of Goose - well described and illustrated here. It seems to have originated in Italy in the late 16th century.

http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2008/11/board-games.html

IheartTarot

Yes, I've seen some of those early decks and they are colored. My gut, however, tells me that they may have been black and white and had astrological symbols.
Not sure if the earliest publications indicate that they are the closest to the original.

But that's just me thinking out loud.

I am extremely curious too and have ordered a few books that I hope will shed some more light on the "prototype" (where it came from etc). :cool:

IheartTarot

Game of Biribissi (aka Biribi)

I wonder if the Lenormand motifs could be related to the Game of the Owl, which was originally an Italian game based on the 56 throws of three dice - illustrated by pictures, many of which are found on the Lenormand cards.

I also noticed several common symbols in the Italian game of Biribissi aka Biribi (a gambling board game similar to bingo and roulette), i.e. sun, moon, stars, bird, house, dog, ring, tree, snake, ship, book, tower, heart, broom. I understand that the symbols represent a person's bet, i.e. you choose a square with a symbol to bet on and hold a marker for that square in exchange for your bet on it. This game was banned due to the gambling aspect. See example board dated 17th century from Wikipedia here.

Teheuti

I also noticed several common symbols in the Italian game of Biribissi aka Biribi (a gambling board game similar to bingo and roulette), i.e. sun, moon, stars, bird, house, dog, ring, tree, snake, ship, book, tower, heart, broom. I understand that the symbols represent a person's bet, i.e. you choose a square with a symbol to bet on and hold a marker for that square in exchange for your bet on it. This game was banned due to the gambling aspect. See example board dated 17th century from Wikipedia here.
What a wonderful lead. It makes so much sense that the Lenormand cards represent a selection of these images. Here's a great example from a museum in Naples:

http://www.guide-campania.it/foto/popup.php?img=biribisso_GRANDE.jpg

Teheuti

Also found this - found in Milan's La Scala Theatre. The picture is only half of the full board (a folding board in two halves on hinges) that consists of 36 positions. Opera Houses were also centers for playing a variety of games.

http://www.tourism.milan.it/wps/wcm..._0922_355_265.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&lmod=-198074002

“Royal Tower” (Torre Reale) is a game that comes from “biribissi”, precursor of all the games based on a draw of numbers, like the most famous “Bingo” (Tombola) and “Roulette”.
The game is made up of two wooden panels and these ones in particular are from the first half of 19th century. They were found during the reorganization of the museum archives and restored for exhibition, just like the wonderful decorative painting from one of La Scala Theatre's boxes, which can be admired in the same room.
These two panels, from Sambon Collection bought in 1911, constitute the original centre of the collections in the Theatrical Museum.
Every game is made of two boards joined by iron hinges that allow the book-like closing. Extremely functional, they were closed and put away when the game was over.
A curiosity: one of the most famous Italian theatre managers, Domenico Barbaja, obtained concession for the game of chance in La Scala Theatre.

IheartTarot

Also found this - found in Milan's La Scala Theatre. The picture is only half of the full board (a folding board in two halves on hinges) that consists of 36 positions. Opera Houses were also centers for playing a variety of games.

http://www.tourism.milan.it/wps/wcm..._0922_355_265.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&lmod=-198074002

Thanks Teheuti, these examples are beautiful and this subject is fascinating! I will try see what else I can find out about the images used on them but it is proving rather challenging so far. :cool:

Teheuti

Here's an article on the recent recreation of a 17th century Biribi game board in Finland, where people are now playing it again. Notice that cards of the 36 figures accompany the board. Really this makes so much sense - that people would have cut out the numbered pictures from a biribisso woodcut print and used them as cards.

http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/peliarvostelut/biribi/