Finding the significator

thinbuddha

Nholdamek said:
According to your description above it sounds like you start on the left.

On the rare occasions that I try to tackle this spread, I tend to do it from left to right, as in natural for a native English speaker... but I'm guessing that because this is partially based on YHVH from the Hebrew alphabet, it is probably more correct to do it right to left. I could be wrong about that.

Nholdamek

thinbuddha said:
Book T, I believe, is a Golden Dawn book about tarot (and possibly other subjects). I believe it is out on the web in electronic format if you'd like to read it. I might be remembering this wrong, but I think that Book T is where the OOTK spread is first described(?). I have not read it.

Forgot to comment on this. Do you know where it might be found in electronic format? "book t" is quite a generic term on Google so nothing much came up.

thinbuddha

Blind- I never noticed that second post until now.

Nholdamek

thinbuddha said:
Blind- I never noticed that second post until now.
Hi,

yep, blind since the age of four. i use a screen reader to get around the internet, but obviously it can't read images.

It's making my time with tarot a bit more difficult since i can't see the images, but I think I'll find some way around it.

firecatpickles

I think the Link thinbuddha gives is the Book T in its entirety.

Lutenist

I'm trying to figure out the Opening of the Key spread. My question is, how do you find the significator? What if you don't know anything about the querent? I'm not finding much information on this.

In those cases, you could simply use the magician to signify men, and the high priestess to signify women. Here is what Paul Foster Case instructs in his book "Oracle of the Tarot":

THE SIGNIFICATOR

This is the card chosen to represent the Querant, or person for whom a divination is made this may be Le Bateleur (Key 1) for a man, or La Papesse (Key 2) for a woman. In subsequent lesson you will find a method for selecting the significator, based on the Querant's birth-date; but many good diviners invariably use Le Bateleur for a man, and La Papesse for a woman.

CrystalTarot

thinbuddha said:

Hi, Hope its ok for me to join in?

I have been reading tarot for many years, first I learn with a significator and that card was set aside and not used in the shuffle, and then I stopped using a significator at all, and now recently I have been experimenting with this last method by Mathers.

Has anyone used the significator method and been told the question was wrong and not carried on with the reading? I wonder if the querent decideds to lie and say yes anyway so they get a reading hoping to turn it round?

I think that this Mathers method is very interesting in that it may mean sometimes we actually don't give a reading or shouldnt give a reading?

Is this why so many stopped using it?