The worst tarot books you have come across

Phantom Goddess

I know that there are a lot of really good books on the market right now. I also know that there are some really bad ones too. Which really awful books have you met and hated? I found a book, which I thought was awsome from the cover I get it home and I realize that the book would better be used as toliet paper than a prized book. The title of it was just TAROT. I can't remember the author (thankfully). Did anyone else find a really crappy book?

Laura Borealis

I can't remember the author or title, but I ran across a book at the library that seemed pretty bad. It was supposed to be about the Thoth deck, but they mis-identified some of the cards. For example, they said that the Lovers card was re-named Lust! It was like they never even looked at the whole deck or something. Wretched, wretched book. I didn't look at it very long; I just put it back on the shelf.

Tarotphelia

Without question, the worst book for me was the Pleiadian Tarot . There was no tarot , just a skinny book. And most of the pages were 2/3 blank. Brief card descriptions, bland, nothing new or revolutionary. I still can't figure out if there really is a deck hiding somewhere or not . I think it must be on another planet.

Tarotphelia

There weren't even any card depictions in the book . I began to think that the 2/3 blank pages might be there for us to draw our own cards after we got the secret squirrel signal from the mothership.
:confused:

Phantom Goddess

Sounds to me that its a scam that they are aiming at people who don't know The Empress from the High Priestess. I'm very glad you didn't buy it. :)

WolfSpirit

When I bought my first deck, there was not much internet yet (or maybe none at all) and I did not know where to look for books, or what books were good, so I just took what I could find...

And no, I don't remember the author either LOL but it was one of those books that makes you understand why people get afraid of tarot - it said to wrap your deck in black silk just in case there were "bad energies" escaping from the deck and affecting you (or something like that), and it was also wise to bury a new deck in the ground until all energies had gone out of the deck so you could start with a "fresh" deck.
I decided not to keep my deck too close to my bed, just in case it was true about the energies ;)

I never buried my deck though. But I never got the hang of it either, until I picked it up again years later, found Aeclectic - things just haven't been the same since.

WolfSpirit

Hm, I think the whole idea of burying a deck is meant for drier climates...if I would bury a deck now, it would come out as paper pulp, I would have to dry it and slice new cards from it I think...
But that would give a "clean" deck :laugh:

lark

With out a doubt.
Hands down the winner would be,
Ta Da!
Understanding and Using Tarot by Emily Peach

What a hard scrabble waste land of confusing information.
If I would have actually followed this book I truly believe I would have given up on tarot entirely.
Luckly I scaned through it recognized it wasn't for me and threw it on the closet shelf, where I am happy to say it has been gathering dust ever since.

I won't even trade it because I don't want some poor soul to waste a mano second of there precious tarot brain time on this really awful book.

P.S. My apologies to anyone who really likes Emily Peach, she just isn't my cup of tea. :)