Tabula Mundi Tarot: formerly Tarot "M"

Babalon Jones

color version coming up

Thanks Alta and closrapexa for weighing in. I totally agree.

It is funny in a way. Sometimes when I draw the sketch for a card, unplanned things happen, sometimes very interesting things. Sometimes I find the things I thought I put in at random as being in some obscure writing, though I wasn't aware of that at the time of putting it there. So at first I didn't automatically consider it a mistake; I had to analyze it.

The rough sketch for the card actually had seven 7's instead of the letters there. But when I drew the final sketch for the card the muse or whatever decides these things had me change them to the letters, and instead put in the seven 7's as the formula (77+((7+7)/7)+77) elsewhere in the disk. But being tired and it being late and I was trying to finish the card that day I must have sketched them in the wrong way, finished the drawing that way and only after looking at it again realized it.

Then it was an enigma and kept me up all that night wondering why I did that and did it mean anything to me or should I just fix it. Because this is my signature card. Was it just because it isn't my native language and though I know better I was on autopilot/tired? Or was it a case of drinking and drawing, as it was around my birthday and I was chilling out?

What I realized is that even if there was some deep insight to be had by it I could never leave it that way, as it would make me crazy to do so, and also I'd get random emails from people who noticed saying "Hey numb-nuts, you wrote it wrong!" and I'd have to explain. Sounds exhausting! :joke:

that would get old quick :p

So anyway, all to say, I just finished the color version of the card. Took all day, from 9am til 8pm with only a dinner break. It took lots of coats of the ink. Maybe because of the earth element, it wanted to be built up solid and opaque in areas, which takes a lot of time. The letters are right to left, all set.

The ink on the color version is drying as I type this, and I'll post the color version as soon as it is dry enough to scan.

Babalon Jones

color Ace of Disks

Color version Ace of Disks. For now, here it is. I may do some minor work to it, but basically done. Done for tonight, for sure! Been a long day. I'm too tired to know if I love it or hate it, or if I need to redo anything. Good to have this final Ace checkpoint though. Next up, the pips, a whole new scene.

http://www.tabulamundi.com/new-aces-ace-of-disks/

Alta

A very strong card, and fitting for what it represents. I like what you finally did with the 7's. I find that the coloured versions make details stand out for me that I tend to miss in the b&w. I think this card is excellent.

Eyebright

I really like it! Alot. You are so talented :)

goldenquince

Your deck is really unique and expertly drawn! You've put a lot of research into the symbolism as well and illustrated the ideas very clearly...I especially like the Hanged Man, Fortune, and the Universe. Good luck on completing the deck! I can't wait to see the rest of the designs!

Babalon Jones

New concepts for minors

I have been at work formulating the concept for the minors. Something new, not anything like its predecessors. Originally I had a concept, back when they were going to done in oils like the first Aces shown (which ended up completely redone and saved for another future deck). But that concept was for oil paintings so has been shelved for the next deck so I had to start again. It would be so much easier to do a Thoth or RWS clone or pips or moody minors, but I want something fresh. It is harder to come up with something not based on what has gone before but still being archetypally correct! I feel like it has been taking forever to gestate the right idea but in reality it has only been a few weeks of thinking, thinking, thinking. Sorting and trying ideas mentally, rejecting most. Endless research and search for inspiration But something is finally starting to click and I think I have it now. these minors will be taking shape in the new year. I'm happy with the Majors only deck as released but also have ideas for possibly a few new Majors to be released with the full deck, so maybe a couple Majors will have two versions ultimately. but what I am most excited about now is working on the small cards now that the Aces are done. I hope to share them in the new year.

Babalon Jones

I just want to clarify the above posting by saying the minors will still be Golden Dawn based, and Thothy, and using the appropriate names and decans, but not Thoth clone or RWS. I'm not gonna foist some weird system on you! Just fresh images and methods for deriving them.

Zephyros

I just want to clarify the above posting by saying the minors will still be Golden Dawn based, and Thothy, and using the appropriate names and decans, but not Thoth clone or RWS. I'm not gonna foist some weird system on you! Just fresh images and methods for deriving them.

I approve. :)

But seriously, one of the things that caught my eye the most in the Trumps was how innovative they were in presenting fresh ideas (namely yours) while still being so accessible and familiar. Too often ego has such a big place in there kinds of decks, especially the ambitious ones, where deck creators try to reinvent the wheel. This deck, however, was immediately approachable to me, however new and different it was.

I mean, I don't mean to embarrass anyone, but I do think that not many people appreciate how important this deck is in terms of new Thoth decks. Of course there have been others, quite lovely some of them, but none seem to really capture the spirit of the original while carrying on its work. Aside from being nice to look at and use, it is important, and I really mean that.

Babalon Jones

Hey I am still here, and just wanted to say that I am making major progress on the minors :)

Just wanted to give you that update. More to follow soon!