When the nine of cups represents a person?

MagikDude

What does it exactly mean? I know it has to do with creativity and good luck, but is there something more to it?

8)

Golden Moon

Someone who is always wishing for something better, but it can also denote someone who is willingto chace and make their wish come true. ;)

Mellifluous

I've been getting this for someone lately in a negative way:

-so used to getting what they want that they are spoiled, arrogant, and take things/people for granted

-may be an addict (alcohol, drugs)

-seems like they're always happy and together, but something's definitely off under the surface or behind the facade they present to others; their image or surface popularity is so important to them that they lie and keep secrets

MagikDude

thanks GoldenMoon 8)
now Mellifluous, you say youve been getting it for someone in a negative way, you mean, the card comes out reversed? or its just because the meaning fits better in a negative point of view?

Golden Moon

MagikDude said:
thanks GoldenMoon 8)
now Mellifluous, you say youve been getting it for someone in a negative way, you mean, the card comes out reversed? or its just because the meaning fits better in a negative point of view?

I think she means when its reversed.

Niti

I don't use reversals.

If I got the 9 of Cups for a person, here are some things that would come to mind:

- Someone who is wealthy or powerful and used to the finer things in life
- Someone who has reached a high level of personal/material fulfillment and totally content with their current place in life
- Could be referring to a merchant or trader of some sort. Someone who deals with money and material goods as part of their job.
- Negatively, it could refer to someone who spends money and "enjoys life" with little regard for the consequences (a socialite, shopaholic, party girl, etc)
- This person might be smug, arrogant, or believe he is above others.

I might not trust someone depicted in the 9 of Cups, as I would assume they are self-serving, and probably out of touch with the realities of the world.

Fostha

As 9's tend to deal with the end of some sort of cycle,before the finalisation in the 10,id see a 9cups person as someone who's extremely happy and content emotionally,who has that inner feeling of 'got everything i've wished for.'

pasara

Fostha said:
...id see a 9cups person as someone who's extremely happy and content emotionally,who has that inner feeling of 'got everything i've wished for.'

This is more how I see it too. Someone who is satisfied and enjoying life. Doesn't necessarily mean they have a lot of money, or the outer signs of wealth, but that they are very content and have a feeling of security in themselves.

If this card is in a position asking "who", you could also look at it in a very literal sense, such as a bartender or restauranteur, for example.

Thirteen

Niti said:
- Someone who is wealthy or powerful and used to the finer things in life
- Someone who has reached a high level of personal/material fulfillment and totally content with their current place in life
- Could be referring to a merchant or trader of some sort. Someone who deals with money and material goods as part of their job.
- Negatively, it could refer to someone who spends money and "enjoys life" with little regard for the consequences (a socialite, shopaholic, party girl, etc)
I'm confused. Why so much emphasis on money and power for a Cup card? Cups are about feelings and emotions, not money/material things (Pents) or power/influence (Wands).

And a 9/Cups would indicate completion or near completion of those feelings--where you're wallowing in emotions and only one card short (10/Cups) from not caring at all about money or power--only about emotions?

I'm all in agreement with them feeling smug and superior in their way of life, but shopping? As for "merchant/trader" the card has never been associated with those. It is, rather, the card of innkeepers and those who provide food and drink--that is, people who like to make others feel happy, warm, comforted; those who go into a business that isn't about making money so much as giving people a place to gather and enjoy each other. That's very different from a trader/merchant who is all about making money.

Why give the suit of Cups what belongs to the suit of Pents?

Thirteen

pasara said:
you could also look at it in a very literal sense, such as a bartender or restauranteur, for example.
Great point! Know any bartenders, Magikdude? :D