Cards as fictional (book, film, TV) characters

nerrine

I'm in the middle of a "renewed study" of tarot that I do every five years or so- it deepens my relationship with the cards not only because I have acquired more decks and books but because I'll notice something I didn't remember from a book I've had for years. Like this:

In "78 Degrees of Wisdom" Pollack likens the Page of Swords to Hamlet- saying he tries to stay above it all through his intellect when more direct action is needed. It hit a nerve; made me think about him in contrast to the Knight of Swords who is like Leartes- comes tearing in looking for revenge and will hear no opposition ("I will dare damnation!") and how due to the extremes of their two approaches they both lose.

Then started thinking about how much typical descriptions of the King of Wands, both his positive and negative aspects, remind me of Don Draper in "Mad Men." And how the Emperor makes me think of Jean-Luc Picard from "Star Trek: the Next Generation" (yes, I know, I'm a total nerd.)

I'm wondering if anyone has a fictional association- whether from a book, movie or television- with a particular card? Or if anyone wants to comment on the ones I have mentioned?

MistressMorrigan

I agree that some cards definitely make us think of other things. One of the first decks I owned was the Mythic Tarot, where all the cards were taken from Greek mythology. In that deck, the Empress was depicted as Demeter, the Emperor was Zeus, Justice was Athena, I think... It's been awhile, and I don't remember all of them. But for a mythology buff like myself, it was really, really cool.

herself

King of Cups - Cliff Huxtable :)

nerrine

That's funny! And rings true.

I'm a big "Mad Men" fan, the Thoth "Debauch" card always makes me think of Roger waking up on the floor of the hotel room with all the remains of drug use around him and his two lovers still asleep. :p

RavenTree

King of Cups - Cliff Huxtable :)

I kind of see Cliff Huxtable from the Cosby show as King of Pentacles myself! :)

Galadriel from Lord of the Rings as the High Priestess
Perhaps The Little Prince as The Fool or maybe Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz?
Martin Luther King Jr. as The Hierophant
The movie Wuthering Heights for The Lovers

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Thanks for starting this thread I've always wondered about this myself!

happyfish

I get a huge kick out of considering which card represents a character, and I do it all the time. Mostly just for fun in my own head. It's proven an especially useful way for me to get a better grasp on the court cards, but can be fun with the entire deck.