I feel like giving up the Tarot

Miss Woo

I had an online reading for my birthday today, and I'm so disappointed with the reading that I feel like giving up the Tarot. I felt this way about another reading I had earlier in the year.

At first, when I got my reading, I was really excited but since going over it I've realised that I just find it impossible to believe what this person had to say (I felt the same way about the last reading).

Both readings sounded like BS, and I'm starting not to believe in the Tarot or its 'powers' (whatever you want to call them). I honestly feel like giving it up.

Maybe the Tarot isn't right for me? I'm noticing that, with the Tarot, I'm starting to feel the way I do about religion, and I gave that up when I was a kid.

I'm not sure why I feel this way. Have you ever felt like this? I'm wondering if maybe it doesn't fit with my values/belief system.

Barleywine

I dropped out for a number of years, not from any lack of faith but due to work and family commitments. I came back with greatly renewed enthusiasm, so it wouldn't be fatal to your long-term interest if you did that. Regarding your readings, I'm of the old school that believes the best readings come from two people being at a reading table together and personally interacting, where further explanation for any unclear meanings can be jointly pursued. I doubt I will ever give or get an on-line reading. Maybe you need to find a "live one" and give that a try.

Miss Woo

I dropped out for a number of years, not from any lack of faith but due to work and family commitments. I came back with greatly renewed enthusiasm, so it wouldn't be fatal to your long-term interest if you did that. Regarding your readings, I'm of the old school that believes the best readings come from two people being at a reading table together and personally interacting, where further explanation for any unclear meanings can be jointly pursued. I doubt I will ever give or get an on-line reading. Maybe you need to find a "live one" and give that a try.

I hadn't thought of that before but I think you've made a good point... I don't think online readings work for me.

I remember I saw a live Tarot reader years ago and she was fantastic; completely accurate with everything including family members who had passed away. She was the head of the Spiritualist Church... Maybe I should try to get in touch with her again.

danieljuk

Did you have both readings from the same place or person? perhaps it's where you got them from? also think really carefully, is this because you are not liking what you a hearing? or perhaps it completely does not fit your life! I have had a variety of paid for readings and they are completely different. I never go back to a place where I have had a bad reading or it hasn't fitted me!

I have had some of my best readings here on AT! there is really talented readers. Why not take part in tarot exchanges or the circles here?

What about your own readings? can you see something that fits in those? you don't have to use tarot for predictive readings, you can use it for analysis, decision making and reading about the past.

If Tarot doesn't fit you, it doesn't fit you! But make sure you are just not feeling a little blocked at the moment with it. It gave some great advice for you recently in your reading threads I thought! Perhaps take a break for a while from it and came back to it :)

Miss Woo

Did you have both readings from the same place or person? perhaps it's where you got them from? also think really carefully, is this because you are not liking what you a hearing? or perhaps it completely does not fit your life! I have had a variety of paid for readings and they are completely different. I never go back to a place where I have had a bad reading or it hasn't fitted me!

I have had some of my best readings here on AT! there is really talented readers. Why not take part in tarot exchanges or the circles here?

What about your own readings? can you see something that fits in those? you don't have to use tarot for predictive readings, you can use it for analysis, decision making and reading about the past.

If Tarot doesn't fit you, it doesn't fit you! But make sure you are just not feeling a little blocked at the moment with it. It gave some great advice for you recently in your reading threads I thought! Perhaps take a break for a while from it and came back to it :)

No, I didn't get them from the same person. And I honestly thought long and hard about the possibility that I just didn't like what I was told, and I swear that's not it. I would like to believe what they had to say but I just cant.

I can't do a reading exchange on AT because I couldn't offer one in return. I have no ability to predict the future, and I barely understand my own cards!

I think maybe I'm just feeling blocked. I won't do any more readings until I get my Shadowscapes deck, and I will see what that's like. Thanks very much for your advice :)

ivanna

You can sit for readings offered against feedback. You don't need to give a reading in exchange, only for feedback. Maybe you can give it an oportunity and see if it works. I got amazing readings here. Try it.

aliceinwonderland

To be honest, I take it all with a grain of salt. During the years, I realise even when they talk to you about personal crisis or victories, is never earth shattering, and you always get through. Have faith. Ultimately, do what feels right. I did have the cards tucked away for a while too, but I found my way back into it.

Remember your free will is stronger than anything else. And keeping your spirituality in good shape and good energy and thoughts will always lead you where you need to be.

Big hug :heart: Alicia

Miss Woo

I have just realised what this is about, and it has nothing to do with the Tarot...

I have just realised that I'm in a lot of pain and grieving over my Pug's death (he died about four months ago). I can't stop blaming myself for his death. He had cancer. I have been crying violently about it for the past hour.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound dramatic, like I'm seeking attention; I thought I should just explain.

Thanks for the hug Alicia :)

Wardi7

Sorry for your loss

I think it is completely understandable to be in pain; when we suffer a loss our world is turned upside down. We take that into everything we do, whether it is work or Tarot. I wouldn't be surprised if the emotions going on in your life affected the reading. I've found that sometimes the Tarot just needs to sit on a shelf for a little while, until my life is a little less crazy before I can pick it back up again.

One other thing: I've found that my interest is directly related to whether I like the deck I'm using or not. I've had some decks that I (basically) hated and my interest was not there and any reading I did was crap. But when I used a deck I had a connection with, I didn't want to put them down.

Give it sometime (and maybe that new deck) and see where things are. Even if you do put them on a shelf for a little while, they will be there is you return.

Miss Woo

I think it is completely understandable to be in pain; when we suffer a loss our world is turned upside down. We take that into everything we do, whether it is work or Tarot. I wouldn't be surprised if the emotions going on in your life affected the reading. I've found that sometimes the Tarot just needs to sit on a shelf for a little while, until my life is a little less crazy before I can pick it back up again.

One other thing: I've found that my interest is directly related to whether I like the deck I'm using or not. I've had some decks that I (basically) hated and my interest was not there and any reading I did was crap. But when I used a deck I had a connection with, I didn't want to put them down.

Give it sometime (and maybe that new deck) and see where things are. Even if you do put them on a shelf for a little while, they will be there is you return.

Yes, I have realised that I hate my Voyager deck now, and I can't wait to get rid of it. Tonight I almost chucked it in the bin! I swear it has the personality of a reversed Emperor! It's horrible!