How do you store your Tarot cards?

greatdane

Thank you Selena!

Since I can put ALL my decks in a big tote bag I have that has a flat bottom, I think you can see how one could easily kind of line them up. I also love handpicking the type of "outfit" for my decks :). If I had a ton, I couldn't do this. I'm not a deck collector, I just want decks I want to read with and I'm a picky Crone, so those I do have, I get custom cases for and have now started edging the decks in ink.

Wardi7

I store them either in the box or in a bag. I have a grey velvet one and a white linen one. I'm not huge on putting crystals in the bag or wrapping them up with something special. I think how you store them should depend on what you like. I have friends that store them in wooden boxes. I will sometimes store them on my home alter which has a chunk of quartz and a Goddess statue.

nisaba

I will be getting my Shadowscapes deck soon and I'm wondering how to store it. I really want to pamper it and have a loving, spiritual relationship with it (I will only be using it for spiritual guidance and growth, not divination).

So far, I have bought a Thai silk cloth and some crystals. I was thinking of wrapping the cards in the cloth and putting them in a bag, like a velvet bag (with the crystals).
That's fine.

A know a local guy, though, who really pampers his Mythic deck. He just has the bare cards kept together by a rubber band, and when he dresses every morning he routinely shoves the bare deck in the back-pocket of his jeans. It's the most loved of any Tarot deck I've ever seen - it positively glows.

How do you store your cards? With people who have hundreds (or thousands) of decks, do you keep them in their original box?

Many different ways. I'm fond of large squares of colourful watered silk to wrap them in, but I've only found a dozen or so, so only a dozen or so are wrapped in them. I have three or four in cotton scarves, but I much prefer the watered silk - it looks pretty. I have the next rank of favourites in bags. Then some on cheap organza bags. And the rest, probably fifty or so, in original packaging.

All my decks are loved and wanted, and know it. All of them are spiritual, in their different ways. I don't inhibit my relationship with a deck just because of what it is or isn't wrapped in. :)

Darkmage

I keep most of my decks in cedar boxes like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lan...552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b03c34810 I also have some in metal boxes as well as old wooden recipe boxes.

The cards stay in their original tuck boxes as much as possible. A few decks have had the boxes destroyed and they're in bags, and then put in wooden boxes. My cats think leather bags are wonderful toys. :/

If they're gift sets or come in a fancy box of their own, they're displayed on my bookshelves. I try to keep sets together as much as I can.

Right now I've got a pile of tarot decks on my couch. I need to find them homes but I'm out of space. So what do I do? I buy more! *headdesk*

Playing cards are kept in shoeboxes under my end table.

Grizabella

Mine are in a basket under my bed. I live in a motorhome so everything has to be stashed away in some manner in order to be able to move around in here without falling over something. I didn't keep the walkway as free as I should and fell down a couple days ago, so I'm creeping around like an old lady :p these days. When I fall over again, my back will wrench back into a better position so I can stop groaning when I move. :thumbsup: :p

ETA: I just read back through the thread. My decks are in a basket, as I said, but some of them have to share a bag with one or two others. My Lenormands are in buckskin cases I made for them, but the Under the Roses that I just got is in a card case given to me by our lovely Crone in the Attic a couple years ago. And I had a bunch of cedar boxes, but lost those in the great storage rip-off and now I just have a larger one for my feathers and a little one for my littlest Lenormand, and one for my earrings.

chimera68

deck organization skills

Okay, this thread really got my attention! I have always stored my decks, the first 20 anyway, in a large wooden silverware chest that has been lined with a calico bandana material and for years that was enough until.....more decks came, then I got a Rowena's pound cake box. Very sturdy, nice lift top, white heavy cardboard with black polka dots, fit lots more decks. Then, more decks came and I put those in a box that an ATT modem set came in, with a lift top, white with orange trim. Oh dear, then more decks came, and I found another, additional Rowena's cake box.....then more came and ended up on my bookshelf or in the headboard of my bed......They all did have to sort of "get along" with eachother though, ones that didn't get along, I don't dare put in the same storage box together. As of today, everyone is peaceful. For now at least, until another deck shows up, which I shouldn't be the instigator of........? They seem to multiply like bunnies, in a seasonal cycle.
Yes this is OCD, and hoarding, and whatever else. Plus Magical Thinking. Which I subscribe to of course.

Miss Woo

I store them either in the box or in a bag. I have a grey velvet one and a white linen one. I'm not huge on putting crystals in the bag or wrapping them up with something special. I think how you store them should depend on what you like. I have friends that store them in wooden boxes. I will sometimes store them on my home alter which has a chunk of quartz and a Goddess statue.

That's fine.

A know a local guy, though, who really pampers his Mythic deck. He just has the bare cards kept together by a rubber band, and when he dresses every morning he routinely shoves the bare deck in the back-pocket of his jeans. It's the most loved of any Tarot deck I've ever seen - it positively glows.

Many different ways. I'm fond of large squares of colourful watered silk to wrap them in, but I've only found a dozen or so, so only a dozen or so are wrapped in them. I have three or four in cotton scarves, but I much prefer the watered silk - it looks pretty. I have the next rank of favourites in bags. Then some on cheap organza bags. And the rest, probably fifty or so, in original packaging.

All my decks are loved and wanted, and know it. All of them are spiritual, in their different ways. I don't inhibit my relationship with a deck just because of what it is or isn't wrapped in. :)

I really like the idea that your deck can be loved in many ways. I never thought of that. I think I have been feeling a bit guilty about the way I have been treating my poor Voyager deck! But at the same time I think my Shadowscapes deck deserves a nice little home :)

Miss Woo

I keep most of my decks in cedar boxes like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lan...552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b03c34810 I also have some in metal boxes as well as old wooden recipe boxes.

The cards stay in their original tuck boxes as much as possible. A few decks have had the boxes destroyed and they're in bags, and then put in wooden boxes. My cats think leather bags are wonderful toys. :/

If they're gift sets or come in a fancy box of their own, they're displayed on my bookshelves. I try to keep sets together as much as I can.

Right now I've got a pile of tarot decks on my couch. I need to find them homes but I'm out of space. So what do I do? I buy more! *headdesk*

Playing cards are kept in shoeboxes under my end table.

I'm so glad I started this thread! It's so interesting to see how other people store their decks. I like the idea of these boxes :)

Miss Woo

Mine are in a basket under my bed. I live in a motorhome so everything has to be stashed away in some manner in order to be able to move around in here without falling over something. I didn't keep the walkway as free as I should and fell down a couple days ago, so I'm creeping around like an old lady :p these days. When I fall over again, my back will wrench back into a better position so I can stop groaning when I move. :thumbsup: :p

ETA: I just read back through the thread. My decks are in a basket, as I said, but some of them have to share a bag with one or two others. My Lenormands are in buckskin cases I made for them, but the Under the Roses that I just got is in a card case given to me by our lovely Crone in the Attic a couple years ago. And I had a bunch of cedar boxes, but lost those in the great storage rip-off and now I just have a larger one for my feathers and a little one for my littlest Lenormand, and one for my earrings.

Oh no, sorry to hear you fell over. Hugs to you. My house got like that and I stubbed my toe so badly I thought I'd broken it.

Yes, I've been thinking of storing my Tarot stuff in a basket. Thanks for reminding me :)

The Happy Squirrel

Collection decks stay in their boxes in a drawer. Working decks in velvet pouches inside a vintage wooden cutlery case or custom made tin cases. Study decks in their original boxes on a book shelf. Decks with sturdy boxes stayed in them (The Wild Unknown, Victorian Romantic, and some others). I like my crystals on my rings, around my neck, on my chest, and heart chakra. But kept tiny ones gifted to me in the drawer where my decks are stored. I don't like the idea of hard crystals rubbing against my cards.