Explaining the Majors to a preteen

greatdane

Anyone ever have to explain the Majors to a preteen (12) in a SIMPLE story-like way so they could remember the sequence? I am trying to simplify as much as I can, and trying to make it flow in an easy story form that will make it easy for them to remember. Is there a book for the younger crowd who wish to learn tarot or at least the Majors easily?

I used Tarot Plain and Simple when I started, but this isn't something they're quite grasping, so thought I would ask if anyone had a book or a method they taught their children or other relatives with. If there isn't a tarot story book for kids, there should be.

OaksWhispering

I do not know any, but there should be. Sounds like making up a short story would be fun

greatdane

I know OaksWhispering! Seems like there must be

or should be! A short, simple story to make it make sense and easy to remember the order. Most books aren't geared to those that want to know about the cards and are younger. There are books and decks geared toward teens, but what about those who want to know about Mommy's or Daddy's deck and are younger.

Grizabella

Janina Renee has a book out that's very much geared to young people called Tarot for a New Generation. It's specifically written for the younger person and I think that would be worth a try. It's very good even for someone who is more experienced and older. You might want to check that out.

chimera68

hmmmmm.

My first tarot book was by Eden Gray, I was 11 or 12. Her books seem friendly and non-scary, but we're talking at least 2 generations ago.... They are still in print, and on Amazon. I really liked how she explained The Fool's Journey in story form, it inspired me to want to learn more.

greatdane

Thanks Griz and Chimera68

I was finding it so difficult to find something geared to about an 11 yr old. Something that especially simplified the Majors and made it easier for them to remember the order. If they were a little older, no problem, but I wanted to make it more fun and not like a test :).
I am definitely checking out the two you listed. I am not familiar with them, well, I am with their names, but not their books on tarot.

MistressMorrigan

I was 13 or 14 when I started with the Tarot, and some advice I received that has worked wonders is to allow the preteen to study each card for a moment (put the book of meanings away) and write a story about what's going on in the card. Then pull out the next card and continue the story.

Making up my own story, based on my feelings of each card, was the best advice someone could have given me. A few years later, after I understood the cards better, I went back and did the same thing with each suit in the Minor Arcana. It's eye-opening and a lot of fun!

Glass Owl

In the book "Psychic Tarot: Using Your Natural Psychic Abilities to Read the Cards" by Nancy Antenucci, she has a chapter called "The Major Arcana: The Third Family" where she goes through the Fool's journey and links the cards together into a story.

There is also "The Bateleur's Tale: A Tarot Story for Children" by Diana, housed here at AT. It is a lovely version of the Fool's journey as well.

greatdane

Thank you so much Glass Owl and MistressMorrigan

VERY much appreciated. Like with anything else, explaining tarot can depend on who you are explaining it to.