I Need to Get This Gunk Off My Card

emmsma

I just got a University Books RWS from eBay. No box. Cards are all in pretty good used shape.

One card, though, has stuff on it. I want to clean it off but don't want to ruin the card. I've tried looking through the archives but would like to hear from folk that have cleaned cards recently.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm9zcd4n8wfgsit/2014-08-14 17.01.13.jpg

gregory

The FIRST thing I would try is bread. :thumbsup:

The really cheap and nasty white stuff. Tear the vile white middles out of each slice of it and roll it into solid balls - then roll them over the card - good and hard - bread is NOT going to damage it. You'd be amazed what that repulsive white bread can achieve.

ETA and truly - wholemeal and fancypantsy bread do not work AT ALL. It has to be the disgusting stuff. At least there is a use for it :D

emmsma

Thanks Gregory. So, you've had the pleasure of using bread? I'd read that but wanted to make sure it was something really done, and not a story passed around.

Will give it a go and report back.

gregory

I have indeed. Not on tarot cards, on a very nice BOOK, and on a picture. Worked great and it's TOTALLY harmless, so if the gunk is bread-resistant, nothing will have got worse.

ETA Oh - and also on wallpaper with fingermarks...

tarotbear

A slice of white bread is what a lot of cleaning companies use to wipe down walls - just rough enough and just 'moist' enough to remove dust and dirt - really! I wonder if fresh or slightly stale would work best on your 'gunk.'

Tell us how it works out!

gregory

A slice of white bread is what a lot of cleaning companies use to wipe down walls - just rough enough and just 'moist' enough to remove dust and dirt - really! I wonder if fresh or slightly stale would work best on your 'gunk.'

Tell us how it works out!
Fresh is better. Trust me, I know this :D

It's that LITTLE bit more adherent.

Grizabella

Try alcohol if the bread doesn't work. My son and his wife work in photo restoration and they told me about it. It won't hurt the card and will even take black Sharpie off of whatever you want it off of, including photos, so it should work, I think.

nisaba

The FIRST thing I would try is bread.

<frowning> You don't remember the German folk-story about what happened to the woman who used bread to clean her grubby son? Even wasting something repellent is waste, and apparently giants don't like it.

Chiska

Silly putty!

If you have access to anhydrous alcohol that is better - less water content - and more cleaning / quick evaporative nature,

gregory

Try alcohol if the bread doesn't work. My son and his wife work in photo restoration and they told me about it. It won't hurt the card and will even take black Sharpie off of whatever you want it off of, including photos, so it should work, I think.
Caution. I did that with one card with sharpie on it - and it took off the coating and some of the ink... :(

nisaba said:
<frowning> You don't remember the German folk-story about what happened to the woman who used bread to clean her grubby son? Even wasting something repellent is waste, and apparently giants don't like it.
What else would anyone do with Wonderbread ? Anyway - how is it a waste to clean a card ?

Yes Chiska - indeed - silly putty, too.