For those who don't.....

ravenest

.....read reversals, do you shuffle your cards a certain way to where the cards are always upright or do you just shuffle with no set way, then turn the card around when it appears reversed?

This question is more for those who turn them around, do you ever feel you are ignoring something when they come reversed but you read them as upright?

Thanks ...
I dont read reversals. And I dont deal them up reversed so I dont have to turn them around. I shuffle all over the place, they get dealt out upright ... sorta automatically. I can see the back of the card and know which way is up, after ...... ( I was going to try and estimate how many times I have shuffled a deck of tarot cards ... :laugh: .... nah! ) ... many times ... of shuffling a deck its auto, I am not consciously aware of it, it just 'happens'. - So they never come as reversed in the first place.

nisaba

.....read reversals, do you shuffle your cards a certain way to where the cards are always upright or do you just shuffle with no set way, then turn the card around when it appears reversed?
:bugeyed: I and my clients shuffle normally. You have to make an effort to pause, up-end a few cards and continue shuffling to get any reversals at all, don't you?

This question is more for those who turn them around, do you ever feel you are ignoring something when they come reversed but you read them as upright?

Just occasionally, a card will really try and shout at me, and coming out reversed when I haven't reversed any is a shout-out. I take more notice of the card in this case.

As to changed meanings, well, every card's meaning changes subtly every single time you see it. I cannot fathom how some people can say one meaning is only for one card and then only upright or reversed ... Tarot is not digital, it is analogue, and our lives are slightly blurry. So is Tarot.

Grizabella

Right now I'm using the Motherpeace deck in the exchange forum and that deck not only uses reversals, but many positions in between. I must say that I'm very impressed with it. Although I don't normally use reversals, I've chosen to go with what the deck is designed for and it's working very well. I could turn each card upright, of course, but in choosing not to, the readings are very informative and I'm really sold on this old "hippy" deck. I'm very glad I've given it a chance. I've had it for years and years and never used it but could never bring myself to part with at least one copy throughout the years.Right now I have both sizes but I prefer to use the mini deck.

Other round decks I have are the Star That Never Walks Around and the Circle of Life. My beloved Daughters of the Moon was a storage casualty, though, and I just loved that deck. I really miss it.

When I use other decks, I don't use reversals.

Kristyjnh

I also shuffle in a way that keeps reversals from popping up. I don't care for reversals generally, but if I ever do want them in, then I'll shuffle, cut, and shuffle the shorter stack into the larger on reversed. Then as reversals come up, I flip them back right-side-up as I return them to the deck.

I don't like thinking that there's a poor card in there whose wisdom I need, but it's stuck upside down. :(

angelika

I have a very specific way I shuffle if I read with reversals (which I don't always do). I shuffle as normal and then every now and again turn the top card the other way up. This means that in any reading I am likely to get maybe 4-6 cards reversed. Though this doesn't seem much you'd be surprised how often they come into a reading. When they do it is very telling.

I have to say as someone who reads both with and without reversals the reversal readings are very telling. More so than the other ones perhaps. I decide whether to read reversals based on the question. Sometimes I think the question will be answered well enough with the 78 uprights alone and don't want to cloud the answer.

Water Lady

I keep my cards upright, have no feeling for reversals at this time and would just turn them, am working on first feeling when I see card, then meaning and trying to combine that.
have not been using tarot for a while so am a bit rusty.

RunningWild

Thanks ...

I shuffle so that I don't have reversals. If I accidentally have a reversal or accidentally turn half the deck around so that reversals show up, I'll reorder the entire deck and start over. I don't feel I'm missing anything by not using them.

Perhaps using reversals carries more meaning for those who don't use spreads? Since I like using spreads, the position within the spread indicates how I read the card.

Marirowana

I shuffle a bit messy apparently, and I don't care how the cards are positioned while shuffling - the backs of my decks are designed in such a way that I don't know if they are upright or reversed.

While dealing, I turn reversed cards upright, but I can't help but remember which ones were reversed - sometimes I read them reversed, sometimes upright, sometims somewhere in between - it depends. On the other hand, I may use upright cards as if they were reversed.

I think both meanings are enclosed in each card at all times, it doesn't matter how they turn up in my spread.

Holland

Right now since I am still learning I tell people I don't do reversals. When I resume reading I plan to teach myself how to read them.
Luckily for me, the designs on the back of the cards tell me if they are reversed or non reversed. So I know how to pick them up and make them non reversed....Part of me wants to get a set of cards that has a design where I can not tell if they are reversed.

donnalee

My cards are never reversed because of the way i shuffle and cut the cards. I figure whatever message needs to be conveyed with be in any case BUT if one did come up then i would take it into consideration.

This for me too: that way if it happens to be reversed, it went to a big effort to be that way so I really pay attention--!