Do other cultures have unique ways of interpreting the tarot?

ThusSpokeZarathustra

Do other cultures hold different opinions on the meanings of the tarot? Namely, Japan, but learning about any culture other than our Western one would be appreciated.

Grizabella

I've been told that Lenormand cards are more common than Tarot in Europe. That was a few years ago, though, so I don't know if it's still true.

Even in our own country people have differing opinions on what the cards and the card combinations are saying.

3ill.yazi

I'm no expert, but I believe that other forms of divination are much more popular in Asia. I have seen some Chinese oracle decks, but don't know much about them.

I've used the I Ching for divination, and have found it much more accurate (for me) than tarot when doing daily readings.

From having purchased a european TdM deck, I can tell you that the card meanings are not universal, apparently. Though I'm referring to the wacky LWB of the Heron TdM.

http://tarot-heritage.com/2014/03/12/the-wacky-world-of-the-heron-lwb/

Marirowana

Do other cultures hold different opinions on the meanings of the tarot?

I wondered about the same thing :) and I think they do.

It is interesting to compare similar decks, made by artists from different cultures. I found it, for example, interesting to look at the symbolism in the Nusantara Tarot. It gives some insight in the Indonesian way of looking at tarot.

It would take quiet some study though, to make valid conclusions about this subject.

ravenest

As Griz pointed out , you dont have to have a different culture for that, I live in a similar area to 3 people on AT and we all have similar cultural upbringings and we could probably all stand on three extreme corners of AT opinion and throw rocks at each other :laugh: .

So I imagine, even more so with different cultures. What is familiar and makes sense in one way to one culture may be totally different from another.

Eg. As child I would be taken to the old LaPerouse site south of Sydney, as they had a reptile show and weapons display of stone axes, boomerangs, etc. there were boomerang throwing displays by the aboriginals. Someone bought out an entertainer from America who was touring Sydney to see the show, he was one of those guys that threw knives and tomahawks around his assistant as she stood against a board ... so he bought some of his stuff along to do a show there as well.

The Aboriginals did their stuff and he was impressed, so he said he would do his show for them ... there were some visiting Aboriginals from the interior there and most of all the Aboriginals had no idea what he was going to do, although they were very impressed with the quality of his knives and little axes.

So he did his show and some of the Aboriginals became agitated and went apart and had a big discussion about it. An interpreter asked them what they thought of the 'show' and asked what they were talking about.

They had come to the conclusion that the man's wife had been cheating on him so she had to be punished, and it was done publicly in front of everyone to appease his honour, but actually, he must have really loved her because, although being required to punish her, he pretended to miss each throw so she she wouldn't be harmed ... so really he was a smart man; he had followed the law, kept his dignity and he still had a wife .

Water Lady

I believe so, just from what we read in the site here you can see that opinions vary. religious background, different parts of the country, all these things can lead people to see things differently.
not a bad thing as long as we keep a open mind.

nisaba

I used to read in an Italian's bookshop, and every time I pulled out a Marseilles deck, she'd call it a "Scuppa" deck and say that the old people in her family played card games with it. For her, Marseilles decks were inextricably linked with Italian playing decks.

devilkitty

As Griz pointed out , you dont have to have a different culture for that, I live in a similar area to 3 people on AT and we all have similar cultural upbringings and we could probably all stand on three extreme corners of AT opinion and throw rocks at each other :laugh: .

So I imagine, even more so with different cultures. What is familiar and makes sense in one way to one culture may be totally different from another.

Eg. As child I would be taken to the old LaPerouse site south of Sydney, as they had a reptile show and weapons display of stone axes, boomerangs, etc. there were boomerang throwing displays by the aboriginals. Someone bought out an entertainer from America who was touring Sydney to see the show, he was one of those guys that threw knives and tomahawks around his assistant as she stood against a board ... so he bought some of his stuff along to do a show there as well.

The Aboriginals did their stuff and he was impressed, so he said he would do his show for them ... there were some visiting Aboriginals from the interior there and most of all the Aboriginals had no idea what he was going to do, although they were very impressed with the quality of his knives and little axes.

So he did his show and some of the Aboriginals became agitated and went apart and had a big discussion about it. An interpreter asked them what they thought of the 'show' and asked what they were talking about.

They had come to the conclusion that the man's wife had been cheating on him so she had to be punished, and it was done publicly in front of everyone to appease his honour, but actually, he must have really loved her because, although being required to punish her, he pretended to miss each throw so she she wouldn't be harmed ... so really he was a smart man; he had followed the law, kept his dignity and he still had a wife .

I absolutely love that story. Do you mind if I use it on occasion?

danieljuk

I've noticed on here that some of the Indian readers (and other people from Asia) find great significance in the astrological meanings and attributions. I know in India birth charts can be very important and seen people posting in the tarot reading areas with astrological signs with the cards. This is outside of the Thoth. I think it's a bit like I-Ching culturally in those areas.

Even in the Western Countries we are quite different in outlook and meanings. I was trying to think of an example where we might see symbols differently between America, Canada, Australia and the UK but I can't think of any! Perhaps our view of the symbols is about our beliefs and culture individually!

DownUnderNZer

When I lived in Japan I use to watch this Japanese tv show that showed "Psychics", but most were not Japanese. Great show though and they had translators for them. I had one too. :D

Finding a reader there is like finding gold - and you would be paying phenomenal prices.

I had a Japanese friend that was able to tell you things no one knew, could see spirits as we see people, she could describe your place when talking to you on the phone and could read people in and out without knowing them at all etc. And she had no idea what was going on and for a time thought she was crazy until she met me. But through the help of my UK Psychic/Medium friends they were able to help her open/close and control what was going on. Sadly, we had no luck finding a place for her to go like a Spiritual Church as they do not really exist there, and it is kind of the same for Tarot. I would say it would be learnt abroad or online really. But things like that are not out in the open or really talked about - just like being gay.

Before I left Japan she met an Empath from a family of Empaths who also had issues dealing with her abilities - the whole family too. So, there are some things there that are not so developed, known, and/or understood.

Not sure if that is like that now, but that was 5 years ago. :)