Where do you do private readings?

reverenderik

For those of you who do professional readings, where do you typically do them? Your home? The client's home? Some other venue?

I just got contacted by my first stranger wanting to book a private reading, and I'm exploring my options. Didn't really expect it to happen so soon!

Apollonia

For those of you who do professional readings, where do you typically do them? Your home? The client's home? Some other venue?

I just got contacted by my first stranger wanting to book a private reading, and I'm exploring my options. Didn't really expect it to happen so soon!

I was never comfortable with the idea of bringing clients into my home so I found a metaphysical shop that had readers and I used their space and gave them a 30% cut of my reading fee.

When I was just starting out, I would occasionally go to people's homes, but I quickly realized how time consuming, stressful (because of traffic and trying to find the address) and expensive that was, so if you do that, you may want to adjust your fee accordingly. Also if you go to someone's home to do a reading, you will be presented with a wide range of situations, so you will need to be flexible and not easily distracted, and outline up front what you need as far as a table and lighting. When I was first doing these, I was absolutely astonished when one of my clients said, "Oh wow, you need a table?" and started running around in her incredibly cluttered house (think "Hoarders") looking for a clear space for me to lay my cards on. Another one went to her garage and got out a metal and glass patio table that was freezing cold (it was about 30 degrees F outside) and covered in bird droppings. And I had one client who had a huge dog that would push its head into my lap and drool on me during the entire reading.

Once in a while I met clients at a local Starbucks, in the public seating area at a shopping mall, or in the coffee shop at Barnes & Noble. But in in those situations, both you and the client have to be comfortable with the fact that the reading may be overheard, and that you might attract unwanted attention and/or be asked to leave.

In case it is helpful, these are the reasons I did not want clients in my home:
1) I am sensitive to other people's energies and have a tendency towards embedded repetitive thought associations, and I did not want to have to walk into a room in my own home and instantly start thinking about a certain person or reading. (For example, I once worked with a woman named Pam and we did not always get along well. I last saw her in 1999. To this day, when I pick up a can of Pam pan spray, or any other brand, it doesn't matter anymore, I immediately think of her, even though I would rather not.)
2) I have a husband who tends to forget what is happening and would most certainly at some point walk into the reading room while I was with a client without realizing I was doing a reading.
3) I have a dog who can't stand not to be included in anything and who will bark loudly and repetitively (he was once mistaken for a fire alarm while I was on the phone with someone) if I am behind a closed door and he can't get to me.
4) I hate to clean the house, but I need it to be clean if guests are expected, and I have a physical situation that prevents me from doing more than a little housework at one time, so I would be in a state of either constant cleaning or constant exhaustion.

HeatherRose

I do them out of my home, and have done them (during nice weather) at a local state park that is right around the corner from my home.
I have mostly had people I know, or referrals from people I know, and a couple of people from advertisements I've had. I've never had any concerns about people coming to my home. I have a room specifically for my readings and reiki. I do have a golden retriever, who doesn't like it very much, but does get put in my bedroom during those times, but he is not a noise maker, so it's not a problem. As for cleaning, I only need to make sure what they see when they walk in the front door looks good, because then we go to the reading room, which doesn't get dirty or messy because it's only for that purpose.
I have a daughter, who is aware of what I do and when I have clients, she does her own thing in her room or other places in the house, but knows not to disrupt or disrespect unless it's an emergency.
I've even had repeat customers bring my daughter small gifts when they have returned after meeting her! :)
I have never gone to a client's home. I did do a party one time, but it was not at a home. I have never had anyone come to me to do a reading, so it's not something I offer.

It's all what you are comfortable with. If you can find a place like a coffee house, or like I have done with the park that has picnic tables around, or renting a room or space somewhere, etc. then try it out to see what you prefer.

reverenderik

Thanks, that is good feedback! I'm not interested in doing the readings out of my home because I just don't know how I could make it feel professional. I've got a roommate who's about as disinterested in Tarot as a guy could get, and there's no way I could keep clients from meeting him.

I've offered to either travel to the clients' home, or to meet them at a local establishment that should work, because we can reserve a very private booth. I'm used to reading cards in busy establishments, so it won't affect my concentration at all. Let's see how it goes!

Thanks again.

ravenest

Any nice parks nearby ? Tarot picnic ? - Or not 'professional' enough ?

I used to do it at a market stall ... I do it at my home, but its a great spot, conducive and I live alone. I have gone to others houses but who knows what you run into there - suspicious husbands, mad kids, barking dogs ... even a chicken on the table once ... I prefer the park option over their house... and mine, if I dont already know them.

Unknowns are best met on neutral ground IMO.

Grizabella

I read for people in my motorhome in a little rural campground in Oregon. My little dogs and I live in a 26 foot 1979 Winnebago and whenever I get someone who wants a reading, they just come in and sit at my little table. I shove my bead loom and beads aside and off we go. :)

I'll read for anyone anywhere as long as it's light enough to see the cards and quiet enough that I don't have to yell.

nisaba

In the reader's room in a new age shop.

Meet them in a café. The veil of sound actually creates a veil of privacy, and you get coffee as well! And after they leave, especially if they leave gushing with gratefulness, there's every chance others may approach you - carry business cards.

Grizabella

Yes, business cards, by all means! Some restaurants will even let you leave a little stack of business cards up by the cash register so people will see them when they leave. You can't leave too many business cards around. The old rule of thumb used to say that out of 100 business cards you give out you'll get a ten percent return, meaning 10 people out of the hundred who have your card will call and give you business. I don't know how that would work for Tarot business cards or if the ratio has changed by now, but the more you leave, the more return you can expect, at any rate.

if you sort of "happen" to leave a card in the bathroom or slipped onto the table, that's good, too. Used to be, we could leave business cards in phone booths but I think there aren't any phone booths anymore.

Like nisaba says, the background noise in a restaurant will give you a "white noise" kind of privacy. And if I didn't live in a campground with close neighbors who kind of watch out for each other, I'd never have clients come inside my motorhome. I should clarify that. And because of something in my past, I do have a pistol in my rv, so that's another reason I don't fear people here. God forbid I should ever have to use it, but having it gives me more confidence.

amu

I really love my home, so I usually do readings on my dining room table. I moved in with my mother this year (well, during the summer, as I am a university student) and everything is decorated so nicely, it gives me such a great energy.

And if I didn't live in a campground with close neighbors who kind of watch out for each other, I'd never have clients come inside my motorhome. I should clarify that. And because of something in my past, I do have a pistol in my rv, so that's another reason I don't fear people here. God forbid I should ever have to use it, but having it gives me more confidence.

I do however make sure my boyfriend is in the basement when I have a new client come over, especially if I have never met them before. He just keeps to himself on the basement computer, but it's a relief to have him there. I am very tiny and not very strong, so one has to be careful you know? I also keep my phone on silent and on the chair next to me. That way it is hidden by the table cloth, but at arm's reach if need be.

Lokismile

It depends on the client for me.

people I know or work with, etc I offer a session in my home.

I sometimes read at clubs but declined one private party due to safety / security concerns.

The rest are at cafes, with times and location picked for a reasonable volume level.

I will move to a metaphysical shop or office later when I decide to have set hours (very part time, it is not my career).