Rituals/procedure for agnostics/non-denominal folks?

Chiska

Like Aerin, I don't attach spirituality to tarot. I hold the question in mind, shuffle the cards, lay them out and see how they relate to the question at hand.

gregory

I'm with Aerin and Chiska.

nisaba

sleepingcat said:
I was wondering what people who havent chosen a spirituality or forged their own, completely unique path do to get in the right kind of mood for a good reading?

Meditation, intregrating it into a habitual ritual?

Just asking, guess it sounds weird asking, but just because some one doesnt know what to make of the spiritual world doesnt mean they cant accept it's there! ; )
I *do* have a spiritual path, but it in no way impacts with reading.

When I read, I shuffle my deck and get started. Simple as that.

Cocobird55

If I'm stressed or upset, I may take a few deep breaths to ground myself and calm myself down.

After that, I just shuffle and read.

Morwenna

I'm in the same camp as most people here; my spirituality may be behind everything, but it is no more specific to Tarot than it is to eating or working or anything else. Energy work, of which Tarot or any divination is one kind, requires grounding and centering to be effective and not to blast the worker; but that's not necessarily ritual, though some people use that form for it. And energy work need not have a spiritual component.

tarotcognito

I'm in the camp of those for whom Tarot and spirituality aren't necessarily connected.

Having said that, when it comes time for me to do a reading, I prepare by putting on some background ambient music and get myself a steaming hot cup of herbal tea. I turn off my cell and shuffle the deck idly while waiting for the kettle to bubble, just letting my mind wander wherever it wants. When the herbal's ready, I'm ready.

Time to sit, sip, pull the cards and read.

Asbestos Mango

I clean my room.

I'm not the world's greatest housekeeper, but I just can't read in a messy room. The energy doesn't flow right.

After I've finished cleaning I light a candle, lay my spreadcloth on the floor, set my laptop beside it (I mostly read for myself or sometimes for people online), hold the cards between my hands and ask the Holy Spirit (you can ask whatever higher power you believe in) to give me a reading that will tell me whatever I need to know. I take a few deep breaths and let the energy flow into the cards. When I feel that they're "cooked", I shuffle seven times, lay them out and read.

Music is optional. For my daily draw, I often don't play music, but for larger readings (I use the CC and a fifteen card spread a lot), I select music. This can be anything from Gregorian chant to Judas Priest, depending on what deck I'm using (the Archeon Tarot, I have found, is a big Judas Priest fan, I go to Grooveshark and pull up some Cusco if I'm using my Xultun Tarot).

but really for the the main thing ritual-wise is cleaning the room. Even if it's just a bit untidy, I tidy up. Just the act of cleaning the room seems to create the kind of energy flow I need for a good reading.

Carla

This may not necessarily be spiritual but it's what I do:

I like to read the cards in silence. I get rid of distractions (like the TV playing!) and breathe deeply, repeating the wording of the question in my head. I visualise energy gathering up from the earth up into my body and gathering at my chest (heart chakra). I think of the person's name, and if I know what they look like, I visualise them, and think of moving the energy from my heart chakra to the forehead (3rd eye) and imagine a beam of light shooting from my forehead straight to them, then traveling back again. When I feel there is a connection, I shuffle until I feel it's time to stop, cut the deck in three, restack, and pull the cards. Occasionally, I might light candles or incense for a reading, but not often. This process only takes 5 minutes or so.

I don't know where I got this, it's just what makes me feel most connected to my readings. When I just shuffle and pull cards, my readings tend not to be as meaningful to the querent (or me!)

Ambience

I'm open to all ideas but not tied to any and i feel like most religions are saying the same thing in different formats anyway.

As regards to spirituality, I tend to go with my heart and my feelings on matters. Same with rituals- sometimes there aren't any- sometimes i get a candle out, set the mood with relaxing music, do abit of hands on healing or relaxation, shuffle and read.

I choose to incorporate whatever ideas i like into tarot. I'm quite flexible with it in that respect.

Amary

I can read anywhere, but I can't read in any frame of mind. I have ADHD and am VERY distractable, so I have to take a few moments to get grounded. I close my eyes and focus on breathing, while I visualize tree roots coming up from the ground and wrapping around me, holding me down. THen, I visualize golden energy coming up from the earth and fillling me, and violet energy coming down from the sky, connecting me to universal energy and knowledge. Sounds very woo woo, I know, but if I don't do it I am very likely to forget the question while I'm shuffling. If I don't take just a moment before hand, I really struggle to focus. I'll forget the question several times just while shufflng. :/

Edited to add: See what I did there? That's what I mean. :D Oops.