Is everyone using computers to create decks these days?

HudsonGray

Both mine were hand drawn too, in pen and ink. I did have to scan the cards in to arrange the framing and do the bottom wording and cleanup but the DRAWING was done by hand.

Lilianne

I can only comment as an occasional deck buyer. Can't see anything wrong with computer aided art as long as it isn't hollow. Nice to think that an artist has interacted with a medium more than just sticking a frame around ready-made art - photos of paintings done by someone else. It's very easy to be slick and glib with any art, computer or not, but computer art can take time and practice just as art with traditional media.

Given the choice between two decks, one appearing hand-done, the other apparently done on a computer, all other values being equal, I'd choose the hand-done.

The thing I can't cope with is the reproduction of others' work presented as the creator's own deck -even with commissioned decks I'd have trouble - just me.

Lady Morgaine

When it comes to readings I believe a person must find a deck they can relate to. One that speaks to them. I prefer the deck made by "hand" and not computer. I bought my first deck in 1970. I have over 100 decks. The ones that are computer rendered just don't talk to me. Although they are breathtakingly beautiful in many ways..they are silent in readings. All of my computerized decks are sitting on the shelf on display the ones created by hand are in my purse. If I am reading, (especially for others) I need a deck that speaks to my soul.... for some reason the computer art seems to have a soulless generic feel to me as if they are blocking the flow of spirit.

Rhapsodin

It depends on the artist. I've seen some scruffy hand-worked "art" and some pathetic computer efforts. And there are artists who combine the good of both brilliantly. It's ultimately down to the overall quality of the result in the eyes of the beholder/reader.

Chronata

I kinda suck at using computers, and technology likes to confuse me...or break down, so it's always easier for me to paint or draw something.

I'm just happy that people like my wonky style band hand drawn lines.

I imagine if I had a computer to help, the borders would be more straight and perfect on all my decks.

I do like some of the new computer assisted collage things I have seen, but I still prefer a folksy hand drawn deck, or a unique non photorealistic style deck.

MoonGypsy

I kinda suck at using computers, and technology likes to confuse me...or break down, so it's always easier for me to paint or draw something.

I'm just happy that people like my wonky style band hand drawn lines.

I imagine if I had a computer to help, the borders would be more straight and perfect on all my decks.

I do like some of the new computer assisted collage things I have seen, but I still prefer a folksy hand drawn deck, or a unique non photorealistic style deck.

Love, love, love your art, dear Geepsy Sis! Keep away from the pooters as much as possible...
that is part of what makes your art so dear. It is real...
There is an authentic pure quality that can't be matched...
You are in touch with that Eternal Child within us all...
We need your art now more than ever...

CrystalSun

When it comes to readings I believe a person must find a deck they can relate to. One that speaks to them. I prefer the deck made by "hand" and not computer. I bought my first deck in 1970. I have over 100 decks. The ones that are computer rendered just don't talk to me. Although they are breathtakingly beautiful in many ways..they are silent in readings. All of my computerized decks are sitting on the shelf on display the ones created by hand are in my purse. If I am reading, (especially for others) I need a deck that speaks to my soul.... for some reason the computer art seems to have a soulless generic feel to me as if they are blocking the flow of spirit.

Exactly. I agree 100% with you. Before purchasing my ORWT I had another one, a clone of it, computer made. That deck helped me a lot in learning tarot and also helped me give accurate readings for my clients yet... there has been always that feeling that something isn't right about it. I wasn't 100% connected to it. With the ORWT I fell in love instantly. I love PCS hand drawing.
I cannot deny though I love the design of other decks computer made... like Ciro Marchetti or Patrick Valenza. Awesome designs and colours.

Nineveh

I've read somewhere that a few people have actually constructed decks of their own design with cardboard and hand drawn art work.

tarotbear

I've read somewhere that a few people have actually constructed decks of their own design with cardboard and hand drawn art work.

Many people did; how long have there been Tarot decks and when did the computer come into our lives?

Doing a deck the 'old school way' is NOT more or less valid than using a computer. If it had existed at the time, Michelangelo might have used spray paint to do the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - gotten it done in a weekend instead of two year's time. Michelangelo used what was the available technology of his time; the computer happens to be ours.

50-60 years from now when all you have to do is put on a helmet and 'think' your designs into existence, someone somewhere will be starting a thread about 'Doesn't anyone still use a computer to create a deck anymore?' ;)

JOdel

Very likely.

Mine was done on computer because I was using a medium which only exists digitally. I suppose someone could have simulated it by building and painting models, building and setting up a scene, lighting it, photographing it, and doing postwork on the photograph, but apart from someone who is doing stop-animation, the likelyhood of anyone trying that isn't nearly as high as someone simply drawing a scene that exists in their head. or building a collage from existing images.

With the publication and printing business having gone almost universally to digital workflows one pretty much has to go digital to get a deck printed. But a deck probably doesn't have to be formally printed to be used.

And for that matter, if someone has access to an old letterpress, and the skill set necessary to make use of it, I should think that a traditional woodcut or lino-cut deck would find a market -- although those media are best suited for limited-edition productions.

(Am now fantacising about a Michael Parkes-style deck done in stone lithography.)