Show your Playing Cards!

Aulruna

Bernice

Oh! Some of those Skat decks are lovely. Thank you for the pics. Regional decks seem to be overlooked yet often have beautiful artwork.

The reading method, is it for these decks? i.e. less cards than 52?
Really interesting if there's methods for them as I have two skat-type decks and would love to try out any system that is for them alone.

Bee :)

Le Fanu

Great idea for a thread! I'm in an obsessively playing card moment right now, so I have loads at hand...

I have always loved the LoS Dukes of Tuscany. Perfect size, full of character and shuffleably tactile.

I also cannot put down a series of decks I bought here in Lisbon. The Royal Mint have issued some antique playing cards which were produced here in Lisbon in the 17th-19th Century by the Royal Playing Cards Factory (I'm translating literally!). They selected half a dozen different playing card styles and issued them in numbered limited editions (1,000 of each set), available from the Royal Mint. I am in love with this early 19th Century deck "in the German style", of which I attach a picture. They are on wonderfully stiff cardstock, and are smaller than normal Poker cards (hence fit in some lovely leather cigarette cases they sell here). I love them.

Of course I bought copies of all the reissued decks but I have FOUR copies of this one as it is my favourite.

More to come. I have loads right now by the bed...

Attachments

• SDC13372.JPG
    SDC13372.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 945

Le Fanu

Another favourite is the Sonet-Morin which is a Patience deck from 1860 for gentile ladies ;). Love it. Always at hand. I have the double set; pink backs and blue backs.

Attachments

• p135_1_12.jpg
    p135_1_12.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 923

Aulruna

Bernice said:
The reading method, is it for these decks? i.e. less cards than 52?
Really interesting if there's methods for them as I have two skat-type decks and would love to try out any system that is for them alone.

They have 36 cards, so I'm currently reading them sort of Lenormand-ish.

I also obtained a German book from the 60ies, which gives a method for adapting a 52 card system to 36 cards, but I'm only beginning to study it, so not sure if it will pan out!

I'm just dipping my toes into reading with playing cards ... partly because I want my readings to be more matter-of-fact again and less about self improvement, and also because I have some lovely decks I could never use otherwise - including a few Barajas Espanolas which I will try to tap into once I got the basics down.

Aulruna

Le Fanu said:
Of course I bought copies of all the reissued decks but I have FOUR copies of this one as it is my favourite.

More to come. I have loads right now by the bed...

Squee!! Some beauties!! (wondering if this was such a great idea after all ... I obviously have underestimated the enabling factor.)

Bernice

Aulruna said:
They have 36 cards, so I'm currently reading them sort of Lenormand-ish.

I also obtained a German book from the 60ies, which gives a method for adapting a 52 card system to 36 cards, but I'm only beginning to study it, so not sure if it will pan out!

I'm just dipping my toes into reading with playing cards ... partly because I want my readings to be more matter-of-fact again and less about self improvement, and also because I have some lovely decks I could never use otherwise - including a few Barajas Espanolas which I will try to tap into once I got the basics down.
My bold. I love those decks. But could only get from Alida, and the postage is greater than the deck price.

Le Fanu

Aulruna said:
I have some lovely decks I could never use otherwise - including a few Barajas Espanolas which I will try to tap into once I got the basics down.
That reminds me; I totally love my Fournier Baraja Neoclassica (40 cards). They also do a Goyesque one and Classical one (which I also have), but the Neoclassical one is my favourite.

Attachments

• 13868554.jpg
    13868554.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 860

Bernice

Oh God Le Fanu, your decks are beautiful. Been drooling over them.

I bet someone somewhere is reading with them!