Show your Playing Cards!

Le Fanu

And here is a set of old Portuguese playing cards which have gypsy writing on them which you can just make out in the picture!

I found them in a junk shop. They were in a tin (also pictured).

Attachments

• SDC13469.JPG
    SDC13469.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 624

Laura Borealis

Lovely decks! For the Portuguese one, is the writing printed on?

Flaxen

Le Fanu said:
Nobody has mentioned Cardshark's decks yet. I have the Heirloom deck, which I love. It has interchangeable court cards (comes with 24 courts); you can either have fancy French ones or the more traditional Anglo-American 19th Century Poker deck style.

Great idea! These are also aged like the 1800s Bicycle deck

(sorry about the slightly blurred picture)
I really like those. :) I love the fact you can change the court cards - what a brilliant idea.

Le Fanu

laura_borealis said:
Lovely decks! For the Portuguese one, is the writing printed on?
NO! It's written in spooky gypsy handwriting! :D The Portuguese is Brazilian so they might have come from there (or been written on by an immigrant). Who knows?

They say things like "sharp-tongued woman", "a journey", "dark man" etc

Miss Divine

I don't do playing cards (thank god ;)), but these are really really beautiful!!

Laura Borealis

Le Fanu said:
NO! It's written in spooky gypsy handwriting! :D The Portuguese is Brazilian so they might have come from there (or been written on by an immigrant). Who knows?

They say things like "sharp-tongued woman", "a journey", "dark man" etc

"Sharp-tongued woman" :p Wonderful! How I would love to find a deck like that.
I could write on one myself, of course, but it wouldn't be the same.

Rhinemaiden

I have been on a transformation deck binge recently and yesterday received two:

Wild Animals - tuck box, nice card stock, lovely designs with symbols cleverly hidden in the drawings and a "where's Waldo" snail on the cards, designed by UK artist Peter Wood

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Playing-Cards-Artwork-Peter/dp/B0015O6QQM
--------------------

La Tee Da - sturdy two part slip box, okay card stock (wouldn't shuffle these, more for "looking" than using), reproduction of an 1865 deck, delightful designs, I'm calling this the "Annie Hall" deck

http://www.denverpetesplayingcards.com/products/LA%2dTE%2dDA-TRANSFORMATION-DECK.html

jackdaw*

I knew I shouldn't have peeked in here ... since looking more into Lenormand and Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling cards, I have been mulling over the idea of getting more into cartomancy. Now I have four packs on my wish list so far :laugh: