The Cartomancy Study Thread

zhadee

This thread aims at studying the Playing Cards in various spreads by using different methods.
Find useful links in the second post.
Let's discuss oneliners, weeklies and monthlies, 3x3, GT, the Romany spread... or whatever pleases your heart.

There are also different numbers of cards in use - 32 (german Skat; Ace, 7-10, J, Q,K), 36 (hungarian Kartya Magyra), 40 (spanish Barajas; Ace, 2-7, J, Q, K), 52 (standard Pokerdeck; Ace - K).
I'm sure there are more, and these are just from the top of my head.

Feel free to join the fun! The more the merrier!

Using the Playing Cards' symbols from the board's list of emoticons is limited to 22. Some spreads may exceed the limit. By using HTML Special Characters, the suit's symbols don't count as emoticons and you are free to use as many as your spread requires.

There's a simple method:
Press
"alt" and 3 => ♥
"alt" and 4 => ♦
"alt" and 5 => ♣
"alt" and 6 => ♠

The playing card insert appears in white when you let go off the keys.
Add colour to your pleasure, change size if you please.

zhadee

useful links

Links to threads on the board.

The Master Method - Fortune Telling by Cards
Hedgewytchery - Wise and Subtle Arts of Reading Cards
Cardseer - The Art of Cartomancy
The New World Witchery Guide to Cartomancy - The Art of Fortunetelling
SunsetKay - reading playing cards
Serena's Guide to Divination - Playing Card Meanings
Destiny Witch - Cartomancy Card Meanings
Seaqueen's Ask My Cards

Phoenix Rising - playing card meanings
Carolina Conjure - Poor Boy's Tarot
Cafe Astrology - Fortune Telling Playing Cards
Camelia Elias - Taroflexions/Playing Cards
AlNablus - baraja espagnola
Nemia - barajas espanola anyone?

zhadee

Queen of Spades

CosmicBeing, I have no idea how to study these cards. They look so simple... a number or a face, and a symbol. 52 cards. Cannot be too difficult, can it?

So I went, and opened one of those links and started to read. Shouldn't take more than 30 days to learn them... and I got lost in the meanings, and possibilities.

How does one start?! I decided on picking one card. Without a question, without a focus. Just thinking... give me something to study.

They presented me with the Q :spade: :thumbsup:

A Queen is an emblem of truth; spades denote trouble that plague every man.

A Queen is a female, a spade is a problem. Now she may represent any female that is troublesome: a cruel mother, a female rival, a competetive work mate, a jealous sister, a widow, a witch.

Another quality of Q :spade: - the type of person who knows how to get what she wants.
While I was brooding over this card, I received an anonymous note from a neighbour: a complaint about the chinese restaurant, and a number to call... now, that is a Q :spade: kind of manouvre.

The cardseer lists them all:
Suit of Spades
Negativity, problems, responsibilities, force, obligations, law enforcement, challenges, obstacles, delays, mysteries, secrets, decisions, karmic debts, obsessions, addictions, resentment, anger, setbacks, frustration, loneliness, confinement, anxiety, failure, fear, illness and loss.

I wonder what this card has to do with me. Well, I am worried and troubled. I have secrets, I feel lonely and confined; I nourish some secret grudges, there is anger and frustration inside of me, and I love mysteries. I also think that I am a witch.

CosmicBeing

I'll pull a card tonight for myself and see what it can glean from it to.

I have to go to the doctor's soon...so probably won't be back until really late tonight or tomorrow.

Got a bad cold/flu *COUGH COUGH*

CosmicBeing

I found this cool link to cartomancy... I did a pull for myself and the meanings really helped to.

https://newworldwitchery.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/the-new-world-witchery-guide-to-cartomancy.pdf

I remember I got a 6 of :club: with 10 of :spade:
when 10 :spade: Paired with a card like the Six of Clubs, it might mean a lapse in faith and a need to reevaluate one’s beliefs about something.

Which made sense for the question.. because I have been doubting myself and my abilities to be able to do certain things in my life.

zhadee

I'll pull a card tonight for myself and see what it can glean from it to.

I have to go to the doctor's soon...so probably won't be back until really late tonight or tomorrow.

Got a bad cold/flu *COUGH COUGH*

oh, I hope you feel better soon!

I found this cool link to cartomancy... I did a pull for myself and the meanings really helped to.

https://newworldwitchery.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/the-new-world-witchery-guide-to-cartomancy.pdf

I remember I got a 6 of :club: with 10 of :spade:
when 10 :spade: Paired with a card like the Six of Clubs, it might mean a lapse in faith and a need to reevaluate one’s beliefs about something.

Which made sense for the question.. because I have been doubting myself and my abilities to be able to do certain things in my life.

I've added NewWorldWitchery to the cool link section :D I've written his meanings on my cards which helps me a great deal. Funny as well...

Today, I kept thinking about the Q :spade:, I was checking for signs of her, and I tried to recognise the energy. I think this is the way of getting acquainted with the cards. I have done so with the Tarot, but lost interest half-way through the pile of cards.

AnemoneRosie

Am I allowed to join this thread as well? Or is it just for the two of you?

AnemoneRosie

Thank you for adding me!
Because I come from the TdM tradition I just sort of move over into playing cards keeping their TdM associations. Where I fall apart is spreads - I don't have a great knowledge of fortune telling spreads.

AraLuck

Boy am glad to be on this!! But allow me 2 silly questions to begin with .. do you at all link the suits here to the ones in Tarot, because I can't help myself.

And is red always positive and black always negative?

Sent from my Lenovo Z90a40 using Tapatalk