Anyone familiar with this deck?

seven stars

I acquired this old deck, but other than what's written on it I'm lost. French, GP Grimaud....I've looked all over the net & can't seem to find anything. I'm guessing/assuming mid-late 1800's.

Also, it's incomplete, there are only 3 court cards with each suit, and I can not tell if the women on the horses are queens or knights - I'm assuming queens....maybe they're a combination of queens & knights, lol...

Attachments

• grimaud 3.jpg
    grimaud 3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 615
  • GRIMAUD FRENCH CARDS.jpg
    GRIMAUD FRENCH CARDS.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 636

Eric in NJ

That is really a find, I'm quite envious!

What a deck!

Very very nice acquisition.

seven stars

OHH WOW thank you guys this helps a LOT......I guess there aren't as many cards missing as I thought - how weird.....this deck has no tens, and each suit has 3 court cards for a total of 48 cards.

This helps a lot, that bull on the 2 of cups was really confusing. I've been reading with it....I've not tried to read without the Majors but surprisingly I've managed to imply most of the Majors into the Minors (like, the moon & the 7 of cups)....thinking about working these up into a workable tarot with very slight variations. Really wish I could find a printer to print on this old uber thick cardstock. Can't shuffle them but the feel is just so cool.

Another questionable card to me is the 4 of coins. This is kind of the "holding onto your money" card & the image on the card is the star of David. Is this a derogatory reference to jewish penny pinchers? If so, I don't like that & I'm going to have to change it. But maybe that's not it at all. Anyone know?

Here's a few of the cards I re-worked. I don't have the Page of Clubs so I had to modge podge this guy from the other cards & added a bird for the free spirit of the fellow, there are apparently no tens so I made the ten of cups & added a rainbow for a clue, as well as the plants in the 7 of coins (reap what you sow), & the 3 of cups was weird, the birds had very angry expressions & the girl had a sad look, so changed that, & the 5 of cups I added the tears dripping into 3 of the 5 cups.

I'm wondering if there might be a way to glue 2 or 3 cards together to get the thick old feel.

Attachments

• 6 reworked cards.jpg
    6 reworked cards.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 577

Lee

Another questionable card to me is the 4 of coins. This is kind of the "holding onto your money" card & the image on the card is the star of David. Is this a derogatory reference to jewish penny pinchers? If so, I don't like that & I'm going to have to change it. But maybe that's not it at all. Anyone know?
Hi seven stars,

I'm no expert but since this pattern of deck apparently dates back to at least 1848, I'm guessing that predates the "holding onto your money" meaning for that card which may not go much earlier than the 1910 or so RWS. So my guess would be it's not a derogatory reference.

seven stars

Hi seven stars,

I'm no expert but since this pattern of deck apparently dates back to at least 1848, I'm guessing that predates the "holding onto your money" meaning for that card which may not go much earlier than the 1910 or so RWS. So my guess would be it's not a derogatory reference.

I googled around, apparently the star of David started being used by the jewish community around this time in Europe. And there was apparently a lot of anti-semitism in Europe during this time. What I don't know is what the association with the 4 of coins is with the star of David.....maybe it was given that association later. I don't know the game & I've been reading up on the game rules, I can't find anything that says what you're supposed to do when you get the 4 of coins. When you get the 2 of cups you're supposed to "moo" .... other cards you tilt your head or wink or look up....it's a weird game.