Barajas espanolas anyone?

Nemia

I bought a deck, from a Spanish seller on Ebay, and I'm again happy to live in this interconnected world where it's possible. (I also bought a magyar kartyar deck.)

I love playing cards - although I still can't make the jump and just read with them, the way I've been doing with tarot for years and lately also Lenormand. I'm lacking this self confidence just to look at a card and say what I feel. No book will help me, I've read too many already.

This thread is enormously helpful, and AlNablus, if you can give us help to get started, I appreciate it so much!

zhadee

I bought a deck, from a Spanish seller on Ebay, and I'm again happy to live in this interconnected world where it's possible. (I also bought a magyar kartyar deck.)
I am intruiged by the barajas espagnolas, and I'd very much like to join the fun. I also have far too many decks and only recently I've joined the TOADies.
Does the "Don Quixote" from Lo Scarabeo's Playing Card collection count as spanish deck? These come with 48 cards, the 10 of each suit shows a female, not 10 symbols.

I also checked the magyar kartyar, they look like the german/bavarian Schafkopf. Only yesterday, I got me a copy of them. It's the tiniest version of a game I've ever owned. Only as large as a thumb.
I have thought about learning them, too but never came around doing so.

Nemia

The magyar kartya share the Schafkopf suit symbols (German suits basically) but they include the four seasons and name the court cards after Schiller's drama Tell.

Isn't it wonderful that in every corner of Europe, people used different card decks to play while drinking beer or red wine? And they still do.

The baraja have, judging without having them in my hand of course, something upbeat in their colouring.

ETA: I was a toadie once. Even kept my vows for some months. Felt great. But not as great as an unopened parcel in my hands :)

zhadee

The magyar kartya share the Schafkopf suit symbols (German suits basically) but they include the four seasons and name the court cards after Schiller's drama Tell.

Isn't it wonderful that in every corner of Europe, people used different card decks to play while drinking beer or red wine? And they still do.

The baraja have, judging without having them in my hand of course, something upbeat in their colouring.

ETA: I was a toadie once. Even kept my vows for some months. Felt great. But not as great as an unopened parcel in my hands :)
Ah, ever since the smartphones became popular, people stopped playing cards while drinking coffee, wine or beer. While sipping something, they keep staring at their tablets without a sign of interest in playing cards with any person in the same room

Lo and behold, after looking at the magyar kartya I felt the need to check once more with ebay ads, and found an offer of spanish playing cards.
Looks like reading this thread is highly enabling me to get various european playing cards, so I might as well cancel my subscription with the toadies right now :joke:

Nemia

The worst enablers on this planet are lapsed ex-toadies. Just so you know.

I guess I will over time add more European traditional playing cards to my collection, and also Latin American, and...

Oh no.

I noticed people give me a weird stare when I take out my patience cards and play in a cafe. I still find the tactile loveliness of real cards can't be compared to anything else. And we still play cards at home. My mother insists :)

We have won a lot in the last decades - and also lost a lot.

AlNablus

ops! Forgot to write: spreads and sample readings are coming soon.

zhadee

Ahoy Alnablus, thank you for listing the meanings in the other thread. I like the simplicity.
Are there fixed combinations?

Nemia

Thank you, this is amazing!