Reading for Skeptics

Sillanza

The biggest skeptic I've ever had to read for is my husband ... and, based on past hit-out-of the-park-accuracy, I can now count him as a regular "customer."

When I run into someone who seems curious but skeptical, I invite them to pull one card from whichever deck they prefer. Then, we're off to the races ...

tmgrl2

Sillanza said:
The biggest skeptic I've ever had to read for is my husband ... and, based on past hit-out-of the-park-accuracy, I can now count him as a regular "customer."

When I run into someone who seems curious but skeptical, I invite them to pull one card from whichever deck they prefer. Then, we're off to the races ...

I like this, too, Silanza...most people can't RESIST that one-card pull....I love that!

terri

TemperanceAngel

I love reading for skeptics they are so much fun and always the ones who get information that you never would of logically known in a 1,000,000 years....

It's such a laugh to see smug grins turn to looks of disbelief, my guess is the skeptics would really be the ones who walk away thinking that maybe there is something more to the Tarot })

tmgrl2

TemperanceAngel said:
I love reading for skeptics they are so much fun and always the ones who get information that you never would of logically known in a 1,000,000 years....

It's such a laugh to see smug grins turn to looks of disbelief, my guess is the skeptics would really be the ones who walk away thinking that maybe there is something more to the Tarot })

I am so happy to hear this from you, TA, since you have so much professional live time under your belt! I feel that I will find the same thing...but right now, even as a beginner with live readings (and I owed some of that to your nudge, TA, and thank you for it)
I don't fear a skeptic...it's a challenge from which I will learn.

terri

TemperanceAngel

Good for you terri, remember though that quite often when someone is skeptical then it means they are actually scared...as the reader you are in control, and as someone who is reading for money you are offering and service and need to provide for your client. So if you look like you are afraid or don't know how will your client have confidence with you?

Keep me posted on how you 'live readings' go!

tmgrl2

Thanks, TA...I hope to expand..am at a slowdown for now...and I am doing "samples"...not charging, since it is practice for me with people I work with, friends...my first real exchange will be with my masseuse this summer...will keep posting since I am sure I will value the feedback.

terri

Kissa

Check these out

Umbrae wrote some time ago a masterpiece divided in several chapters (thus threads): "The Process".

The part 1 is about Reading for Skeptiks: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=9501&highlight=process

There is a part 1.5 (you know the guy is weird ;-) ): http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=9586&highlight=process

And the whole series of the Process can be found here: http://www.tarotforum.net/search.ph...d=341175&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending
I hope the links work. If it doesn't, just do a research using "process" as keyword, in "titles only" and with "Umbrae" as username.

I strongly recommend the series. Not only is it wonderfully written and fun to read, it is also very deep and shows Umbrae's dedication to Tarot and its "serious students", as he likes to say...

Kissa

Livia

I have been debating about what to say to my brother when he comes over and pokes around and finds my tarot decks, which he will. The problem is that I wouldn't call him a sceptic, I would call him close minded (probably the worst case you would ever meet)...I think it is not about how skeptical they are, but how rude they are about it. I think I will do some Jungian examples for him, I hope that will apeal to his ceribial side..he loves books, and sounding like his is all knowing.
I like all the advice given above, though, thank you.

tmgrl2

Thanks, Kissa, for posting those links...I think they are marvelous!
I have them printed and they are wrinkled from reading over and over. I highly recommend them for anyone with questions ...also, I'm going post the general link about Mecanics of Reading. It's in the Forums, but sometimes people don't notice them:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15119

I go back periodically, pick up some threads I haven't read and post to them, bumping them forward..since we have many newcomers who might find them quite helpful.

Livia...the one card offering as a sample for your brother might prove interesting. My husband still doesn't know what to make of my Tarot work. But, as I said in another thread, he took a long reading from me one day. I casually asked him if he would like one and when he said yes, I told him he had to take it seriously.

He did.

We set the tone.

terri

rainwolf

background of tarot

I have studied supposed causes of tarot and find them quite interesting and logical. For a fact, the psychologist Carl Jung (yoong) dove deeply into religion and metaphysical ideas, and gave them a foundation. I do not like reading for skeptics because most of the time, i just get readings that i feel is just trying to get it all over with, which i do not like. So before i even read for someone who is questioning, i ask them why they doubt it, adn then inform them of carl jung's philosophy and teachings. His ideas of synchrocity, archetype,and the collective unconscience all pertain to tarot,and would be valuble to learn about for future reference involving the skep's