New Orleans Voodoo Study Group: REVERSALS: XVII -Z'Etoile reversed [The Star rx]

afrosaxon

I was working with the cards tonight and did a spread in which Z'Etoile [The Star] came up reversed.

Now, in an upright position, this card is about hope, and the promise of new beginnings. It's the light at the end of the tunnel. This card shows a baby in an egg, which is flying through the cosmos. Stars are in the background and Spirit floats around the egg in ribbons.

In a traditional reversed meaning, the Star rx means a loss of hope, or blockage of hope. However, look at this card closely:

The egg is in a position similar to a woman's womb...and the baby is in the egg much like a human baby would be in a womb. If the mother were to go into labor now, the birth would be a breech. But if you turn the card upside down...and the baby is headfirst, in a position ready for birth.

So if the upright position indicates hope, the reversed position indicates that it's time for action...and that whatever the querent hoped for is now ready to come to fruition.

Thoughts?

T.

Grip Dellabonte

The egg is in a position similar to a woman's womb...and the baby is in the egg much like a human baby would be in a womb. If the mother were to go into labor now, the birth would be a breech. But if you turn the card upside down...and the baby is headfirst, in a position ready for birth.

This quote had me going in all sorts of directions, and thinking about all kinds of things. Good way of looking at it, afrosaxon.

There is so much swirling around it I can see where you get that it can be a "take action" card.

While The Star reversed can be about blockages and losing hope, in this image I can also see where you get that it can simply mean waiting for something to be in a position to take place.

In this way the card reminds me a lot of the Hanged Man.

It could be that not all hope is lost, but things take time and something may not present itself as soon as expected.

I see where you get action. And I get delay! But neither of us seem to get hopelessness from this card.

It is full of life and potential. It will burst forth, maybe not on our schedule but on its own.

elkahib

I don't know if this helps, but Z'etoile is a person's destiny. If it comes up reversed, I tend to look at whether a person is doing what they are meant to be doing in life; often they are in the wrong job, wrong relationship or in another situation that puts them off of their life path.

Have fun,

El.