Others touching my cards

SarahRose

I'm very new, and have yet to do a reading for anyone else.

Per my best friend, I was "taught" that you 'should have' at least one deck that is yours personally - no one else shuffles, no one else reads from it. She believes, though, that a personal deck can be used to read for others as long as it's not physically used by others for them to do readings themselves, and that they shouldn't shuffle it (though looking at one or two cards is okay). She has a personal deck that she only uses for herself and then a deck that she uses to read for others - they can handle it, etc.

I have a cheap, simplistic deck that no one besides me ever used before, and one that will probably stay my personal deck if I ever want to use a deck that is strictly me. Yesterday I got a new deck that will probably be my reading-for-others deck that others can handle, shuffle, etc.

Hope that wasn't too confusing an explanation. :D

Anerin

I do face-to-face readings only to people I know well and who I believe will handle my cards with respect. But I give them the deck to shuffle only when I feel they are too tensed and/or completely uninvolved in the process to make the atmosphere more comfortable for us both.

Lion-O

I do wonder about that as well. If you allow others to touch them have you ever encountered a situation where others didn't treat your cards in the way they should have? I guess that is another thing I'm very insecure of; if you allow others to shuffle your cards than chances are high that they'll treat them as an ordinairy pack of playing cards. I sure wouldn't approve of that.

Shaymus

Here's what I did to find out if others should touch my deck. In the past, I asked other decks that I own, how it would feel being touched by others...I got cards like The Sun, The Lovers, 9 of cups, etc.

I asked my current deck (Morgan-Greer, which I absolutely love), how it would feel if others handled it.

I drew the seven of rods....to me, that meant it would feel defensive. I took that as meaning it would rather not be handled by others.

Why not ask your deck, if you're wondering about it?

Shaymus

Lion-O

Shaymus said:
Why not ask your deck, if you're wondering about it?
In all honosty I live by the belief that the driving force behind the tarot comes from within, so basicly I'm the being in control. However, I also strongly believe that the more you know about something the more you realize how little you actually know. Its also why I have slept with my Mage deck (my first) under my pillow right up to this very moment. Yes, some rumours also get to me and so far I still feel a bond between my Mage deck and myself. Whether it is because of the pillow act is something I don't know ofcourse.

So while being puzzled and surprised I'm sure going to try this one, in fact, I honostly never given it any thought untill now. Thanks for the suggestion, something i'll have a go at later this evening or tomorrow evening !

Rabbit

My first thought was...only if they have clean hands...lol.

darkiscross

hemera said:
I have different decks in this respect. There are a few decks that I don´t let anyone even see, let alone touch! Then there are decks that I let anybody touch as much as they want and decks that let my kids "play" with, so that they get to know them.
I think most people have energies that are neutral or harmless for the decks. But I would not underestimate the meaning of negative energies either.

Ditto. I never let strangers touch my Dragon deck, though that's only because I'm worried Dragon is a bit "unstable". Might hurt people. Anyone's energy may affect my decks but I'm fine with that. Shuffle the deck seven times and "poof", the energy is out of the deck and the cards are randomized well again.

Gilded and Gothic I'm fine with letting people handle.

Celcius

I have only ever read for family members, and a few friends, all of whom where very careful, and respectful of my property. I've never had to be concerned about letting them shuffle. Except once, my brother-in-law was about to "Riffle" the deck. I think it was the horrified look on my face that caused him to pause... I don't believe he intended to disrespect my deck, that just what he considers "shuffling" Now, I simply show and explain to people how I would like them to shuffle, before handing them the cards.

I think if and when I start reading for strangers, I may prefer the "I shuffle, you cut" approach. It seems like a balanced way for the Querent to feel 'part of the reading.'

As for letting people look through the deck, I encourage it actually. The images are a great conversation starter.

ElektraWebb

I had a horrible experience with someone else touching my deck ... being that I often take a deck with me outside of my home, I placed my deck on a table in the middle of a shared workspace. Initially, I wasn't worried about it because the four people who worked in that work space were very respectful and knowledgeable about Tarot cards in general. However, our space was totally, and unpredictably, invaded by an outside individual who literally, pushed her way in; grabbed the deck; started making believe she was doing 'fortune telling'; started throwing the cards all over....while she made fun of the 'nudies' in the deck...my deck had been raped and pilaged...I was in tears, learned a hard hard lesson about my cards, and to this day, anything this individual touches gets cleansed with the strongest intent I can come up with .... my deck has since had numerous full moon cleansings, and I feel certain the 'dirt' has been washed away...However, it was a painful, painful experience that I will NEVER allow to happen again....

may someone learn from this 'hard knock' I experienced..

elektra

SunChariot

Sorceress_Jade said:
When I do readings for others, and granted I have not done many, I do not have them shuffle, split or touch my cards. I perfer not to have people handle them. Though, sometimes I will let people look through the cards afterwards so they can enjoy the images or see what a Tarot deck really looks like.

At any rate, I'm wondering if anyone else does readings where they do not have the subject touch the cards.

-Jade-

I don't let anyone touch my cards. But I don't read for others in person. WHen I do read for others it's either my e-mail or I do it at home type it up and hand it to them in person. So there's not much chance of them touching my cards anyway as they are not in the same room when I read. I am a bit fussy about someone else's vibes on my deck.

Especially of someone who did not have enough respect for the wonder that is Tarot. To me my cards are highly spiritual tools, a reading to me is like doing a prayer and receiving the answers from that higher power. My decks are my personal tools to communicate with the Divine. I have never let anyone else touch my decks, but there is currently one person in my life that I would let look through my decks, a man that I am falling in love with and who has a great and deep respect for things spiritual.

But he would be the first and the only one I know who I would let near my decks.

Babs