Visconti Sforza versions- Information for collectors

Abrac

Hey Happy,

There's a picture of the US Games 1st edition case in the PDF. In your post above, after you viewed the PDF, you were wondering if the Longobardica case would be similar to the US Games 1st edition. I was wondering what's the verdict? :)

Abrac

Da: I Tarocchidi Stuart R. Kaplan, Mondadori

Should be Da: I Tarocchi di Stuart R. Kaplan, Mondadori and translates, From: I Tarocchi by Stuart R. Kaplan, Mondadori.

It's a book in Italian by Kaplan and published by Mondadori. I'll check Kaplan's Encyclopedia and see if I can find out when it was first published. I Googled it but found dates all over the place. :)

Abrac

According to Kaplan Vol.1, I Tarocchi is an Italian translation of his Tarot Classic and was first published in 1973. This is interesting because the line drawings used for US Games' Visconti Sforza 1 are taken from the Tarot Classic tarot deck.

I think the Italian version was reprinted a few times (not sure how many), so those images that are in your booklet, Happy, may be from a later printing that was revised in '74 or '75 perhaps.

It's also interesting that the Longobardica booklet credits those images to Kaplan.

The Happy Squirrel

Hey Happy,

There's a picture of the US Games 1st edition case in the PDF. In your post above, after you viewed the PDF, you were wondering if the Longobardica case would be similar to the US Games 1st edition. I was wondering what's the verdict? :)

It is the same! Except, the Longabardica appears more brown (unless USG 1st ed there looks more red due to lighting), and I can't see from this pic, is there anything written along the spine there....? Here, I can see "I TAROCCHI DEI VISCONTI" between the first and the second rung, and then in the middle is the Visconti serpent emblem, and then between 3rd and 4th rung below it says "MONUMENTA LONGOBARDICA".

Abrac

I can't see anything on the spine of the US Games one either. I just noticed for the first time where the inner case slips into the outer sleeve. Yours sounds pretty nice. :)

The Happy Squirrel

:)

i am still mulling over the other facts you shared. i did think that maybe the credits are for the explanations of the cards and not for the images. but then i saw another attribution to kaplan under the knight of coins image. with something in italian which sounds like "reconstruction" or some such. above thos image is the three of swords which appeared to be made by white washing two extra swords from the 5 of swords. it doesn't look like all cards are explained there. so i am going to try to figure out what images are included. i can see the majors there.

if we can have someone who owns USG 1ed share what their booklet says that would be so good. now i can't rest until i figure this out :p

Abrac

Happy, out of curiosity, in your Longobardica booklet where it says "Da: I Tarocchi di Stuart R. Kaplan, Mondadori" are the images these, or these?

The Happy Squirrel

the first set :)
the colourful one not the line sketch. except of course in the booklet everything is black and white.

Abrac

Okay, that's what I thought, but just wanted yo be sure.

Abrac

Happy, I was wondering if you could could clarify something. Here you said:

"Copyright Monumenta Longobardica - Bergamo, 1974."

Where exactly is this located? On the box?

Then here you said:

"COPYRIGHT 1974 AND 1975 LONGOBARDICA AND USG"

Where does this come from, the booklet?