"Tarot Triumphs" by Cherry Gilchrist

Barleywine

I've often pondered how I might work "pipless" as some here do, and am starting to get a glimmer of how that might transpire. I think I would take the 56-card "oracle" part of the deck and do more mundane readings with that, and keep the triumphs for more intricate exploration. My experiments with shifting around the astrological correspondences for the triumphs have already shown me that there are less obvious interconnections between them. I'll keep you posted as I get further into the book. Maybe someday I'll take a page from my pubescent schoolboy phrasebook and call myself the "pipless wonder!" })

Lee

I've often pondered how I might work "pipless" as some here do, and am starting to get a glimmer of how that might transpire. I think I would take the 56-card "oracle" part of the deck and do more mundane readings with that, and keep the triumphs for more intricate exploration.
By the way, I don't know if you've read any books by Juliet Sharman-Burke (not the Mythic Tarot book but her other ones), but she has a whole reading process that involves taking the client through several layouts. She separates the Majors from the Minors (she usually uses RWS-type decks). First she does a layout (Celtic Cross I believe) with just the Minors, to get a sense of mundane issues. Then she does a seven-card layout with only the Majors, to get a picture of physchological/spiritual underpinnings. Only then does she combine the deck and do a five-card (if I'm remembering correctly) layout with the full deck.

Barleywine

By the way, I don't know if you've read any books by Juliet Sharman-Burke (not the Mythic Tarot book but her other ones), but she has a whole reading process that involves taking the client through several layouts. She separates the Majors from the Minors (she usually uses RWS-type decks). First she does a layout (Celtic Cross I believe) with just the Minors, to get a sense of mundane issues. Then she does a seven-card layout with only the Majors, to get a picture of physchological/spiritual underpinnings. Only then does she combine the deck and do a five-card (if I'm remembering correctly) layout with the full deck.

Thanks for the pip . . . I mean "tip." :) I think I get the picture without buying the book. Sounds good. I might think of the triumphs more as "overarching" than as "underpinning," though. In some cases I might never get to the combined spread if I get what I'm after before that point.

KhonsuMes

Does anyone know of a reasonable source for the Universal Marseille companion book by Lee? I got the deck years ago, but don't seem to have the book. (My record keeping was poor in those days, now I try to list all the components of packages..)

Lee

Does anyone know of a reasonable source for the Universal Marseille companion book by Lee? I got the deck years ago, but don't seem to have the book. (My record keeping was poor in those days, now I try to list all the components of packages..)
Hi KhonsuMes, thanks for asking. The set that has the book seems to be no longer available, and I don't know if Lo Scarabeo has any further plans for it.

KhonsuMes

Thank you, Lee.

Khonsumes Matt

3ill.yazi

I do see that box set show up on eBay every once in a while.

KhonsuMes

Thanks,
I set up a search to watch for it.

Matt

Barleywine

I just finished the book last night. The Fool's Mirror spread looks interesting and I will try it when I get a suitable victim . . . er, subject. The last two chapters didn't do too much for me, though. Guess I'm too much of a literalist. But the "three-ring" design gave me a great idea for a new spread, which I'll post here soon.

Herodotus

You know, I finished reading this book a couple weeks ago, and I walked away with some very mixed feelings about it. Of all the Tarot books on my shelf, this one is my least-liked (but then again, I don't usually save a space on my shelf for the books I don't like, and this one remains anyway)

But I'll have to get into why I feel as I do at a future date, because it's past my bedtime.