Seven Swords/i've Never Seen Him As A Thief (or Sneaky)

lucky star

In the RWS card - many people may interpret the main figure as a thief or sneaky person.

Personally, I've always viewed the SEVEN SWORDS as an 'alieviation of stress' - look how the little fella carries off five swords for you - leaving only two; and the elements contained in the remaining two are what help us suss out situations and use our tact/marbles/wits to put our situation right. (In other words, he leaves what's best for you). If he was a thief, he'd take all the swords. The tents in the back-ground indicate to me that this is all done for YOU.

Disa

That's an interesting perspective.

In this deck, it seems to me the guy's task is to carry away all the swords, but he can't seem to get them all at once. It indicates to me he will need a better plan of action or a greater amount of skill in order to complete his task.

(In other decks, the character's facial expressions are a bit more mischievous and I can see how they are considered to be thieves ;)

lucky star

Disa said:
That's an interesting perspective.

In this deck, it seems to me the guy's task is to carry away all the swords, but he can't seem to get them all at once. It indicates to me he will need a better plan of action or a greater amount of skill in order to complete his task.

(In other decks, the character's facial expressions are a bit more mischievous and I can see how they are considered to be thieves ;)

I agree with you about "a greater amount of skill in order to complete his task" - but at least at this point, you've sorted out the "wheaf from the chaff?"

Disa

Oh my, I'm afraid I don't know what that expression means

"you've sorted out the "wheaf from the chaff?"

Could you explain it a friend from across the pond?

Thx,

Disa

Abrac

Hi lucky star-

Thanks for bringing up this card again. It has been a subject of great interest to me for a while now.

After considering many different possibilites, the one thing that keeps coming up over and over is the private nature of the activity. Whoever this fellow is, and whatever he is up to, he is in his own private world.

caridwen

Disa said:
Oh my, I'm afraid I don't know what that expression means

"you've sorted out the "wheaf from the chaff?"

Could you explain it a friend from across the pond?

Thx,

Disa

'To separate the wheat from the chaff' means to sort one thing from another. The chaff is useless dust and the wheat obviously has lots of uses, so it can be taken to mean, to sort that which is useless or meaningless from that which is meaningful.

lucky star - I think that is a new meaning but one that has value nonetheless, (to alleviate stress).

I see this as a card of strategy and self interest, doing things for and by yourself. Keeping your cards close to your chest. Yet also with a possibility of deception either self deception (especially if coupled with the Moon/7 of Cups) or deception by another.

I think simply calling this the 'Thief Card' is too simple a meaning for a card so complex in character.

lark

I often see it as taking care of a little problem before it becomes a big one.

Sulis

This card is one of the reasons why the RWS system just doesn't always work for me.

I don't see a sneaky theif either (well sometimes maybe I do but I don't want to be tied to that meaning).

I see the sevens as cards which speak of overcoming obstacles. Voluntarily leaving the safety of the sixes and taking things to 'the next level'. The sevens are cards of initiation.

So with swords, I see someone who uses his brain or can talk his way out of a problem. This card to me speaks of using a strategy, of thinking on your feet and finding another way around something.
And yes, occasionally I see deceipt and cunning but I'd think of that more as an ill-dignified or reversed meaning.

Disa

caridwen said:
'To separate the wheat from the chaff' means to sort one thing from another. The chaff is useless dust and the wheat obviously has lots of uses, so it can be taken to mean, to sort that which is useless or meaningless from that which is meaningful.

Thanks, caridwen xxx

Abrac

Number 7

7 is a number with strong ties to spirituality and the occult - the unseen and the invisible.