Tabula Mundi Tarot: formerly Tarot "M"

daphne

Sorry for the delay, not feeling well today. Here is a picture of cards I printed at home to show the border color difference as compared to white. Not the best lighting, it shows more in daylight but I think you can see the color a little better than it shows on the website.

I think I can see a difference, white is on the left, isn't it?

Get well soon!

Babalon Jones

Feeling better today :)

Yup the one on the left is white and the right one is a cream or pale yellow.

I'm sorry, that is a really crappy picture, lol, you can barely tell which one is which on this monitor. My other device it was more obvious. In real life you can really see a difference, especially in natural lighting.

For the black and white ones, I figured some people might want to color them for fun and I'll include a GD color scale list if anyone wants to stick to the traditional colors (not that you have to!) Or just keep as a black and white set. There are not a lot of those around and I like the look of b/w images. If nothing else they are interesting as a way of seeing the construction of the card.

daphne

Good to hear you are better!

I would not dare to color the cards, I probably spoil them and I would feel guilty, especially if I can not afford to replace it.

Babalon Jones

I could do the borders in a darker cream color, more pale yellow than parchment but still light. I tried that at one point and liked it but then changed my mind and reverted to the lighter version. Arg. I can't decide! I'd have to change all the files though, for the printers and the web. Waiting for my proof to arrive. I'll see how the printed proof looks I guess before deciding. My informal poll of friends looking at the ones I printed at home seems to indicate they like both almost equally but some prefer one slightly over the other so it hasn't been that helpful. I hope they are liked either way!

Daphne as far as coloring them I know what you mean. You should see how stressed I was during the painting of each one at some point. I mean, sometimes I'd be really happy because I love doing that part, but for each card there would come a point where I'd be really torn. It was usually either the last color to add, the background, or a crucial element where I'd be having to decide what color to choose, either from the Golden Dawn color scale for the card or artistic license. And then I'd add it and despair that I "ruined it" haha until I walked away for awhile then I'd be ok again usually. Or I'd paint over that color lol, but I rarely did that as I hate overworking stuff.

daphne

If your friends liked both variants of borders almost equally, then it must be appealing either way. I liked a lot black borders of Rosetta, it made the colors really shine, but as long as you decided to have light borders for the second deck, then I would vote for cream color. White is too white.

What about the card stock? Can you keep the same as for Rosetta, please? I love it so much, perfect, it feels like butter in hands.

I think it can be really exciting to create the cards, even the dreadful process of doubting and deciding for colors, it is still a provoking journey. You are a great artist!

Babalon Jones

To answer your question, Daphne, yes, the card stock for this deck should be the same as Rosetta. I went with the same printers (I got several different quotes from various printers, and while the ones I chose both times were not the cheapest I liked them the best for various reasons). And I requested the same weight stock as with Rosetta, so I assume it will be the same. I will ask and see.

Thank you for saying you like my art. That is the hardest thing about being an artist, as just like when picking colors, there can arise so much self doubt, also doubt based on reactions and lack thereof to ones efforts. It seems like all of the best of me has been focused on this for years (because it has) and while I love it, I often wonder if I should keep going, if anyone else likes it and if that should even matter, why other decks sometimes to me seem perceived or responded to so much better, if my tastes are too offbeat, if I have wasted time doing it and should stop and as Dylan says "paint my masterpiece" instead which to me means work on one huge oil painting instead of all these smaller pieces of art. It has taken almost 3 years to get this far on this deck and lots more effort to go if I ever expect to finish.

I wish I didn't have to work a day job as maybe then I could do both, finish this heart-deck of mine and paint my masterpiece! Which must be why I keep wasting money on the lottery, lol.

Zephyros

I wish I didn't have to work a day job as maybe then I could do both, finish this heart-deck of mine and paint my masterpiece! Which must be why I keep wasting money on the lottery, lol.

For your next deck you might want to go the Kickstarter route. I've seen artists ask for, and get, enough money to serve as living expenses as overall part of the cost of the project.

daphne

For your next deck you might want to go the Kickstarter route. I've seen artists ask for, and get, enough money to serve as living expenses as overall part of the cost of the project.

Yes, with a good advertised campaign with lots of exposure, you could be successful with a crowd funding project.

This can be something to consider, maybe it helps to get a more relaxed avenue financially.

daphne

To answer your question, Daphne, yes, the card stock for this deck should be the same as Rosetta. I went with the same printers (I got several different quotes from various printers, and while the ones I chose both times were not the cheapest I liked them the best for various reasons). And I requested the same weight stock as with Rosetta, so I assume it will be the same. I will ask and see.

Thank you for saying you like my art. That is the hardest thing about being an artist, as just like when picking colors, there can arise so much self doubt, also doubt based on reactions and lack thereof to ones efforts. It seems like all of the best of me has been focused on this for years (because it has) and while I love it, I often wonder if I should keep going, if anyone else likes it and if that should even matter, why other decks sometimes to me seem perceived or responded to so much better, if my tastes are too offbeat, if I have wasted time doing it and should stop and as Dylan says "paint my masterpiece" instead which to me means work on one huge oil painting instead of all these smaller pieces of art. It has taken almost 3 years to get this far on this deck and lots more effort to go if I ever expect to finish.

Great you got the same printer, they did a great job the first time.

I love your art. I love your first deck. I am sure I will love the next decks, Major only and the full deck (please finish it) TM. And maybe others, Lenormand maybe? :)

I am sorry they are not talked more about, but remember Rosetta was in top 10 decks of the year of appearance. This should tell you something important. And it got to that top position despite being a self published deck, without the big power behind a mass market distribution.

I understand why you have your doubts about further pursuing these "small" pieces of art instead of a huge painting. But I think that everything is a process and it has its place in your development and formation as an artist. In the midst of doubting you loose the perspective.
A tarot deck is also a master piece! If you put together all 78 paintings you had to do (and sometimes to redo and redo...), you got a huge painting. You already have a masterpiece. And now you are on your good way to create another one.

Besides, tarot art is a special sort of art, that goes beyond aesthetics. It has real life usage. And it has a life of itself!
It is something with a great power and significance you bring into the existence with these decks, something you cannot do with just "regular" paintings. Your creation is and will be in the hands, minds and hearts of so many people now and in the future.

For instance, Rosetta has a great staying power, I consider it the best of the Thoth influenced decks.
Your art, in tarot concept, will have a very long, exciting, unpredictable and magical life. Continue to bring it to life.

Babalon Jones

Thanks Daphne and Closrapexa for the advice and thoughtful replies.

Kickstarter, yes I have thought about it, lots actually, but wow it is so far right of my left, or my center, or whatever compass I have. It would take a huge dogshake of my introverted coat. Make a video? Shill oneself with constant updates? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but ach, god I have so much trouble even emailing the people who signed up for my newsletter asking to be emailed, because I don't want to be one of those things in this world constantly asking you for something or looking for attention. That's not me! On the MBTI I was an "I" for Introvert 30 out of 30 possible. So even posting here, I resist. I have no FBook, Twittr, etc no soc media to speak of and don't want to start. They say for Kickstarter you "have to". Well I doubt that, you don't "have to" do anything but you have to do *something*. Likely something I don't like, lol.

Maybe I should finance my retirement through Kickstarter, haha. But, thank you for suggesting it, I think someday I will try it. Maybe for the full 78 card deck. For The last one I took out a loan, and who likes to do that either? But I may have to do the kickstarter video with a bag over my head like the Unknown Comic!

You know, last night I was looking at the two border colors and thinking I might need to redo everything to the darker color but then I realized, people look at the art, they don't obsess over the shade of pale on the border. At least no one I want to know about does! So who cares if it is the exact right color. Most people are looking at the art, and what matters is not even exactly that they like it (though that helps) but that the mission was accomplished. And the mission of the art, though not 100 percent conscious was to transmit the download, the idea and the connection. I have spent time thinking on the stuff that goes into (what I think is) the making of a good card: the tarot itself (duh!), the feeling tone of the astrological signs and planets, alchemy, qabalah, color theory, composition...self taught, and not saying I am any good at most of it either, I see where I am lacking and am just talking background. But somehow, I think not consciously, unique ideas come through about the archetype. I think sometimes people see them and sometimes not.

I don't know, I'm not adept with words but hope I am better with pictures.

That is why I love tarot as an artistic and spiritual vehicle. It encapsulates all of human experience and is connected to the collective psyche. It is more than just art and it does have significance beyond a pretty picture. Don't worry, I probably couldn't stop if I tried. i just get maudlin sometimes. :smoker: :party: