Sacred Days of Midsummer 2017

arcange

I would love to participate. I'll be in 3 different countries that week, something totally abnormal for me. I'll have to lay out the cards where I can.

I have 3 decks but currently feel most comfortable with Rider Waite.

RavenOfSummer

Thanks so much to everyone who has joined so far! So excited!

I love reading the deck choices and musings here too :)

I love this idea, just LOVE it, and to be honest... I think the equinoxes are calling out for similar, maybe shorter?, reading sessions.

I was wondering about this as well! Maybe at the end of this reading we could check in as a group and see if there's interest in doing something for Autumn Equinox.

I am already picturing in my head a quiet sacred place, a beautiful reading cloth, crystals and incense burning slowly while the cards are thoughfully added one by one. It might turn into a summer altar.. if only it could rest 12 days undisturbed in my home.

I love the idea of turning this into a summer altar!

I usually read at my desk, which is not big enough for a 12 card spread. What I did was get a large piece of foam poster board and then put a second piece of the foam board over the spread. I then secured them together with clips/clamps. That way the cards stay put until you're ready to work on the spread again. Even with kids and cats :)

What a great idea :)

I would love to participate. I'll be in 3 different countries that week, something totally abnormal for me. I'll have to lay out the cards where I can.

Sounds like an exciting time! Glad you'll be joining us!

RavenOfSummer

Well I'm still trying to decide on a deck. I'm spending a week with my Tarot of Trees in the Deck of the Week group this week to get to know it a little better and decide if it might be a good option. I love its bright colors, so it feels summer-y to me in that way.

Other decks I'm considering are Celtic Wisdom (also brightly colored), the Goddess Tarot, Prisma Visions, and maybe Mystical Cats. I used Prisma Visions for the Yule group reading last year and it was just perfect...I do feel it's a bit more of a dark-season deck for me because of the dark backgrounds of the cards, but at the same time it has such a magical feel to me that it seems like a good choice for solstices and equinoxes in that sense.

It's a good thing I still have a couple weeks to decide! :D

Carojulie

I usually read at my desk, which is not big enough for a 12 card spread. What I did was get a large piece of foam poster board and then put a second piece of the foam board over the spread. I then secured them together with clips/clamps. That way the cards stay put until you're ready to work on the spread again. Even with kids and cats :)

Thank you for this good idea !
I also thought that I could spread the cards on a low table, and place a large square of transparent plexiglas on the cards when I am not reading.
I need to find either foam board or plexiglas board now !
Another idea I had, was to stick the cards on a vertical metallic surface with magnets. But, I can only think of my fridge as a large enough metallic surface, and there is no way I will leave my precious cards in the kitchen, near where the kids can reach with their chocolate smeared little hands.
:)

Nemia

I'm very happy with a magnetic board I bought for my study especially for my tarot calendar (cards associated with astrological signs and decans). I made nice magnets (some with Universal Waite mini cards, some with glass drops and crystals), and it's a wonderful way to display cards without having to deal with the curious felines in this house.

I will make a wheel for this reading and ask my talented youngest daughter to draw a beautiful sunflower in the middle. That's my plan for tomorrow :)

I don't have room on the magnetic board for the summer solstice reading but I do have metal doors and fridges. Grrreat!

arcange

Thanks so much to everyone who has joined so far! So excited!

I love reading the deck choices and musings here too :)

I was wondering about this as well! Maybe at the end of this reading we could check in as a group and see if there's interest in doing something for Autumn Equinox.

I love the idea of turning this into a summer altar!

What a great idea :)

Sounds like an exciting time! Glad you'll be joining us!

I wish I had a more earthy deck. It's either Rider Waite or Antico Tarocco Italiano. The AIT looks like a Marseilles deck.

Shade

A very cool spread; one question re. the Night of the Teardrop, is June 16 traditionally associated with the Isis and Osiris myth or was this just an available date? I know that the rising of Sothis is attributed to Isis and takes place in the summer. Asking as a devotee of Isis who is always excited to learn more about Her sacred calendar.

JDusk

I just signed up - this is a wonderful idea. It will also give me some motivation to tidy up my room so I have an appropriate amount of space available! If I can't work that out, I'll probably keep the drawn cards in a stack by my altar and lay them out again before each new reading.

RavenOfSummer

A very cool spread; one question re. the Night of the Teardrop, is June 16 traditionally associated with the Isis and Osiris myth or was this just an available date? I know that the rising of Sothis is attributed to Isis and takes place in the summer. Asking as a devotee of Isis who is always excited to learn more about Her sacred calendar.

Hi Shade! Yes, June 16 specifically has been celebrated for Isis according to my research. I first came across this in the book "Moon Magick" by DJ Conway when I was doing research to create this spread. June 16 is the Night of the Teardrop, also known as the Feast of the Waters of the Nile. It is associated with the tears of Isis overflowing the Nile upon losing Osiris.

Would love to have you in our group reading next month, Shade :)

CharlotteK

Thanks for this great spread, I'd love to join in! I have chosen Tarot of the Spirit (though did debate Thoth, Tabula Mundi or Mystical Tarot, so may change my mind before we start!) I'll be clearing the bed in the spare room to use. No-one ever goes in there so hoping I'll get away with that :)