Color Your Own Thoth

blue_fusion

Was there ever one? I checked out TG - sure there's that tres riche foil stamped one but no cards that feature black and white line art. I was just wondering since there have been a number of reworkings for the RWS, and I even saw a black and white colour-your-own version of a historical deck (I forget which one).

On the other hand, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but I recall reading something about Crowley picking very specific colours to associate with each card...

Lillie

The colours in the thoth are all to do with the key scales, cabbalistic correspondences.

It's very complicated, but yes, they were chosen very deliberately, with some artistic licence from Frieda Harris.

I have never seen a black and white colour your own version, though I have seen one of the RWS, and the Vaschetta, which is probably the historical deck you mention.

Le Fanu

I don't think Al would dare to trust us plebs to meddle with his system. I can imagine the horror on his face of us all daubing his cards with crayons.

Oh the horror! Can't you hear him spinning in his grave?

Lillie

:D

Yeah, but that don't mean you can't.
It should be fairly easy to trace off the designs, or even, maybe, if you are really clever to use an art program to turn them into drawings.

Then you could do them all psychedelic and everything.

rwcarter

A psychedelic Thoth? :bugeyed: I'd be all over that! :D

If only I were adept enough at art programs to turn the scans into drawings....

Rodney

blue_fusion

I've been thinking about that actually, not psychedelic, but, say, iridescent. Would be a good series-of-weekends project. (maybe he'd do a Linda Blair head turn?)

The colour-specificness probably explains why there are so few Thoth clones.

Lillie

Yeah, but that's bad.

It's not some holy cow that can never be touched.

It's just a deck, (albeit a damn fine one) and deserves to be treated with the same combination of respect and creative disrespect that any other deck gets.

And if it makes Uncle Al's head spin...
Well, it's exercise for the old man, isn't it?

Aerin

blue_fusion said:
I've been thinking about that actually, not psychedelic, but, say, iridescent. Would be a good series-of-weekends project. (maybe he'd do a Linda Blair head turn?)

The colour-specificness probably explains why there are so few Thoth clones.

Oh yes, iridescent.

I agree with Lillie.

It would be very interesting to see if a re-coloured (or at least re-toned) Thoth would feel less crystalline and flat. To me I mean.

A stained glass type colouring would be interesting. It'd make fascinating windows.

Lillie

Oh. I've just remembered....

The real reason is probably because it's owned by the OTO and they do treat it like a holy cow.

Still, if you wanted to do something bad to it, just for your own personal delight, I doubt whether they would know or care.

Sinduction

I'd love one. Then it wouldn't be green! :D