Abrahadabra-Understanding Aleister Crowleys Thelemic Magick?

Aeon418

I'm just nit-picking here ....... in a cantankerous kinda way. })

Near the end of Abrahadabra Orpheus gives a few helpful notes on performance of Liber V vel Reguli. But in my opinion he's got one small technical detail wrong. The way I interpret the ritual the magician is supposed to pace counter-clockwise around the circle and project before drawing each of the pentagrams. Orpheus seems to have over looked point 8 in the ritual.
Let him turn again to the Left, and pursue his Path as before, projecting the Force from Boleskine as he passeth; let him halt when he next cometh to the South, and face outward.
According to Orpheus the magician, after tracing the Nuit pentagram in the North, only goes around one half circle and thus ends up facing south. But he seems to have missed the point that doing it that way means you never pass Boleskine/East.

Aeon418

similia said:
I was looking for a book like this for a friend of mine who knows nothing about Thelema, but developed in interest recently when they found some things in it that resonated with their Buddhist belief's. I thought the DuQuette book may not be quite right for them, and it seems this one may be a the best one.
There's also the very good introductory book by Gerald del Campo.
New Aeon Magick: Thelema Without Tears.

Unfortunately it is now out of print...... sort of. I'll explain in a bit. ;)
You can find a very early draft of the book here: <link removed by moderator>
[Not sure if this link is allowed?]

This early draft was revised and expanded and later published by Llewellyn in 1994. In 2000 it was reprinted (after being revised and expanded again) by Luxor Press. This edition has since then gone out of print.

In 2008 a book called The Heretic's Guide to Thelema was published. This is a compilation of Gerald del Campo's writings, including New Aeon Magick: Thelema Without Tears.

http://www.amazon.com/Heretics-Guide-Thelema-Gerald-Campo/dp/1905713185

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
There's also the very good introductory book by Gerald del Campo.
New Aeon Magick: Thelema Without Tears.

This was worth a hunt. A kind of Thelema in a nut shell for those, like me, who wonder off into the trees and lose site of the forest. Some nice quotes in it also.

AW

Aeon418

Which edition did you get, AW? The 1994-Llewellyn or the 2000-Luxor Press?

ravenest

Abrahadabra

I have a copy up for loan to Aussie ATers. Its OK but not good enough to say I wouldnt lend it out.

thorhammer

ravenest said:
I have a copy up for loan to Aussie ATers. Its OK but not good enough to say I wouldnt lend it out.
Um - please? :heart: PM on its way :)

\m/ Kat

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Which edition did you get, AW? The 1994-Llewellyn or the 2000-Luxor Press?

I hunted online :| and found the the cheapy free version not to be mentioned on this thread. ;)

Not that I wouldn't love to go poking around dusty bookshops for occult treasures but around here it's Barnes and Nobles and three Christian book stores.
Guess I won't find an old hidden copy of, well, anything. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

ravenest said:
So if it was good you wouldn't let anyone borrow it? :laugh:

ravenest

Sure ... some of my books I wont lend ... complimentary copy of the first Liber Abba, all fine but each page blank .... second copy of same ... all fine but pages sewn in upside down to cover ... ( ah ... the joys of publishing !:laugh: ) Finally a good one , but signed by Sabazius ( X deg OTO USA) and Helena (then OTO Int. Secretary), or Philipino Martial Arts signed by Dan Inasanto (he taught Bruce lee stick fighting and the book is old and frail)
'Friday's Island' ? Never! lent it once never came back took 6 years to get another.

Or if I only have 1 copy and are currenty working it.

Anyway lots of reasons ... MTP - Book 4 Ed Symmonds? YEP! :laugh:

Aeon418

ravenest said:
MTP - Book 4 Ed Symmonds? YEP! :laugh:
The one with the pink cover and the spine that fades to lime green? :laugh: