Abrahadabra-Understanding Aleister Crowleys Thelemic Magick?

thorhammer

ravenest was kind enough to lend me his copy of Abrahadabra, and I've read a goodly chunk of it in the 24 hours I've had it :) I'm loving it and it's a book I will want to add to my library permanently - I just have one question.

The book R has lent me is Abrahadabra: A Beginner's Guide to Thelemic Magick, whereas the title of this thread is A(etc): Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thelemic Magick . . . is the second a newer edition of the first? What would the difference be between the two? Marked enough to invest in both?

Loving the book, R. I have some questions, though, so I'll PM you :)

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

It sounds like you're reading the older 1995 edition. Whether there are any differences between that and the new edition printed by Weiser in 2005, I don't know.

Grigori

I have a new version on the way, maybe we can compare notes later? I suspect it might be the same situation as with Duquette's introductory book on Thelemic magick. The first edition was called something like "The Magick of Thelema" and no one knew what it was about from the cover. The second they put in "Aleister Crowley" and people suddenly paid more attention ;)

I suspect its the same book with a more attention grabbing title.

Aeon418

similia said:
I suspect its the same book with a more attention grabbing title.
I compared chapter 6 of the new edition with the sample chapter from the first edition that Orpheus has on his website. Apart from some minor tinkering and rephrasing I didn't notice any major changes. I wouldn't be surprised if this were true for the rest of the book.

I suspect that the only real change between the two editions is that the new version has an into by Lon DuQuette.

thorhammer

Sweet, good to know :) Yes, the one that r. lent me is the 1995 edition, I think. Happy to compare notes (by PM is prolly best, or email :D) with you, similia, when yours arrives. I'll be ordering one as well, I just want to know the difference so I know which one to get. It's a book that I'll want on my shelves for many years to come, I think.

\m/ Kat