The Book of the Law Study Group 2.18

Aeon418

The dead are under the rule of Osiris, the lord of the dead. As such they believe they are nothing more than the four elements that are subject to continual transformation (Death) from one form into another. This is what we mistakenly call life.
From within the limited perspective of the four elements we can readily agree with the Buddha's assertion that all is Dukkha - sorrow, pain, suffering.

But not according to Hadit the Lord of Life.
Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains.
Each one of us is the Hanged Man. (Mem - Water the element of illusion) Through the process of incarnation we are plunged head first into the world of the four elements. Into a world of illusion that convinces us that this is all that there is. But at the same time we lose sight of our True Self, the 5th element - Spirit, even though we are always connected to it. (The Ankh - symbol of Life) We are spiritual beings inhabiting temporary bodies of flesh.

The symbol the Hanged Man is making with his body is the Cross above the Triangle. This is supposed to represent the descent of spirit into matter. But what if you could re-connect with your True Self and somehow set the triangle above the cross. (This would create the alchemical symbol for Sulphur.) Wouldn't this transform your whole view of earthly life and it's meaning?
But you can't do that while you're still a slave to the four elements. You must become a Lord of the Earth (four elements) to wear the crown of spirit.

Atu XII The Hanged Man - Mem (spelt in full) is 90 (Cross above the Triangle) The Slave.

Atu IV The Emperor - Tzaddi 90 (The Triangle above the Cross.) The King whose throne is the cubic stone.

If you look through Liber Legis you'll notice that nearly every single reference to the "King & slave" appears in chapter 2. This makes some people uncomfortable because of the elitist theme. My answer: Thelema is elitist. And if you don't like it, tough! :D
Everyone thinks they are entitled to be King (the euphamism for Adept in Liber Legis). But how many are prepared to do the work necessary to become a Lord of Earth?

At this point it might be helpful to introduce one of my favourite Thelemic Holy books, Liber Tzaddi.
http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/library/libers/pdf/lib_0090.pdf

Aeon418

Here's an interesting one. Sepher Sephiroth lists OM (Ayin Mem) as Kinsman. Yes, I know it's not quite kinsfolk, but still the Devil is the Lord of the Gates of Matter. Lord of Earth?

This mirthful goat has his third eye open. But what about the Hanged Man? I can't find it right now but I remember Crowley making a reference to his Mouth and how it was "resolutely closed". The Mouth is Peh - The Tower - and the opening of the All seeing Eye. His is closed though because he is submerged in the watery world of illusion. (Ammenti)
Blessed are they who have turned the Eye of Hoor unto the zenith, for they shall be filled with the vigour of the goat.
I wonder if one of the card trimming crowd out there can give us a piccy of the Devil and the Hanged Man. The Ankh and Adepts wand are a nice fit for each other. ;)

Curtis Penfold

Aeon418 said:
The dead are under the rule of Osiris, the lord of the dead. As such they believe they are nothing more than the four elements that are subject to continual transformation (Death) from one form into another. This is what we mistakenly call life.

We were talking about the Death card elsewhere, and you were saying that Death is an illusion, that the Spirit remains the same like the Sun remains the same and never really dies, just like the snake remains the same despite shedding it's skin. So Death is only a changing of matter.

However, this philosophy is something I still don't relate with. I mean, we change (die) all the time. It's a natural event. I've seen people go from addict to saint, from saint to crime.

People change (die). The spirit is just like the elements, moving from one state to the next. Why is it considered an illusion?

(I do want to add that I'm a sun-worshipping, Osiris-loving, Saul-to-Paul kind of guy, so that might be why I don't relate with this).

ETA: Woops, it wasn't the Death card thread. It was this one: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=126869&page=3

Aeon418

Curtis Penfold said:
People change (die). The spirit is just like the elements, moving from one state to the next. Why is it considered an illusion?
No, Spirit is not just like the elements. Spirit enters into the elements and uses them as a vehicle of experience, in much the same way that you put on a pair shoes when you want go for a walk. This is what is depicted on the Hanged Man card.

But when we incarnate into matter we lose the knowledge of our true nature, spirit, and fall under the illusion of the elements and mistakenly identify with them to exclusion of all else. And that's the reason why the Hanged Man suffers. But if he could "open the Eye of Hoor" and realise his true nature, then his "apparent" sufferings in this life would take on a radically altered significance because he would be able to see them for what they really are.
Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains.
You are THAT which remains. You are God experiencing life as Curtis Penfold. But does Curtis Penfold realise he is God, or does he think he is Curtis Penfold? ;)

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
I wonder if one of the card trimming crowd out there can give us a piccy of the Devil and the Hanged Man. The Ankh and Adepts wand are a nice fit for each other. ;)

Sorry the line up is not 100% cause each time I put the lid of my scanner down it moves :D But you get the general idea.

Attachments

• DevHang.jpg
    DevHang.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 90

Aeon418

We will just have to imagine the intentional symmetry between the horns and arms. :laugh:

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
We will just have to imagine the intentional symmetry between the horns and arms. :laugh:

Yes I think that's best :laugh:

Curtis Penfold

I'm a big believer in as above, so below.

Aeon, I'm still a little confused. Are you saying the spirit has no resemblence to the elements?

What about the spirit changing from one state to the next? Conversion, enlightenment, ext.