Crowley and Blake

Aeon418

Trivia time...

In 1997 the current OHO of Ordo Templi Orientis, Hymenaeus Beta, officially added William Blake to the list of EGC saints based on a comment made by Crowley in the essay.

I could have sworn that Bill Heidrick had it on his site somewhere...

Aeon418

Crowley put Blake on the expanded A.'.A.'. student curricullum.
The Writings of William O'Neill(Blake). Invaluable to all students.

thorhammer

It makes me feel, for the first sodding time in all these months, that it's not all been for nothing . . . that I made that conclusion for myself is v. satisfying.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

Yay for you Kat :D

fyreflye

thorhammer said:
I do, mate, and it reads really well. It's a no-nonsense little thing, no illustrations to speak of, but it's very good and I wouldn't even try with the deck without book. I think it can be found reasonably cheaply still, though I wouldn't know where to start.

http://www.facade.com/store/william_blake/

panpiper

Crowley's essay on Blake "William Blake" by "A Mental Traveler" doesn't appear to be on line.

The William Blake archive http://www.blakearchive.org/blake/ is a tremendous resource of Blake's paintings and engravings.

Grigori

Thanks fyreflye and panpiper!

I was researching something else today and found this reference I thought you would appreciate Kat. Its in part 4 of Book 4, where Crowley is discussing the contents and reception of the Book of the Law.

Crowley said:
I have never written such English; nor could I ever, that well I know. Shakespeare could not have written it: still less could Keats, Shelley, Swift, Sterne or even Wordsworth. Only in the books of Job and Ecclesiastes, in the work of Blake, or possibly that of Poe, is there any approach to such a succinct depth of thought in such musical simplicity of form, unless it be in Greek and Latin poets, nor Poe nor Blake could have sustained their effort as does this our Book of the Law, and the Hebrews used tricks of verse, mechanical props, to support them.

thorhammer

It's a powerful thing he's saying, and true, both of Blake's work and of the Book of the Law.

Thanks for that, similia :)

\m/ Kat

ravenest

thorhammer said:
... a lot of the material I'm reading along with learning the deck seems to align strongly with the Thelemic worldview. Of course, I know that Blake predated Crowley by a long way ...

And as you probably know Thelemic-type individuals and 'Thelemic worldview' were around a long time before Crowley, Uncle Al didnt invent it.

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Trivia time...

In 1997 the current OHO of Ordo Templi Orientis, Hymenaeus Beta, officially added William Blake to the list of EGC saints based on a comment made by Crowley in the essay.

I could have sworn that Bill Heidrick had it on his site somewhere...

And I think that is the only saint 'officially' addeed to the liturgy since its inception? So he is considered rather special. As for the 'secret' female saints . . . . dont start me!