Crowley and Blake

thorhammer

ravenest said:
And I think that is the only saint 'officially' addeed to the liturgy since its inception? So he is considered rather special. As for the 'secret' female saints . . . . dont start me!
Oh, come on, please start! A new thread, if necessary, but this I wanna know about! LOL

\m/ Kat

ravenest

Nah . . . I'll do it here (I haven't been spanked by the mod for a while ;) )

In the EGC script there are NO women listed :( . The OTO acknowldges that many are worthy to be Thelemic 'saints' but does not list them - why? Because they must be protected and their names are hidden - WTF ?????????

Here is a start - look up Ida Craddock ... hang on ... SAINT Ida Craddock - there I dun it (prepare to be de-frocked Ravenest ! )

Entree;

"I am very far from agreeing with all that this most talented woman sets forth in her paper, but she certainly obtained initiated knowledge of extraordinary depth. She seems to have had access to certain most concealed sanctuaries.... She has put down statements in plain English which are positively staggering. This book is of incalculable value to every student of occult matters. No Magick library is complete without it." AC.

thorhammer

That is good to know, I shall try out my new search engine tonight with it.

But why with the protecting of names? :confused: SRSLY. The world is a weird place.

\m/ Kat

Curtis Penfold

thorhammer said:
But why with the protecting of names? :confused: SRSLY. The world is a weird place.

\m/ Kat

We're moving a little off the Blake subject (an individual I love), but I do want to mention that protecting women by not talking about them may be a normal part of conservative Christian spirituality.

I say that because, being Mormon, we were taught that Joseph Smith mentioned a Heavenly Mother, but we don't discuss and/or worship Her. This is the 1830s we're talking about. It was seriously taught within the Mormon church that Heavenly Mother's role is so sacred that it shouldn't be discussed.

Golden Dawn, coming along in the early 20th century, may have been experiencing similar thinking. We might think of it as sexism, but back in that time when sacred things weren't discussed, what better way to express the sacredness of women by not discussing them?

Le Fanu

Fascinating thread. Good for you Kat in unearthing this common atmosphere between the two. I'm not really well up on Thelemic thinking but - in a nutshell - which aspects of the Blake Tarot made you think of Thelema? The Blake book (and deck) I think I know well, but now you've really got me thinking...

thorhammer

Hey, you :)

I think it was mostly the idea of the four Zoas being split, and our life's purpose being to reunite them so that we can access our divine imagination. That's very similar in theme to the goal of reunification with the Holy Guardian Angel through finding and living one's True Will within Thelema.

In the Blake Tarot, it's expressed even more simply through the Trumps, which, for the first time, illustrate the Fool's Journey to my satisfaction through the three cycles (for others, Matter, Awakening and Spirit).

Does that explain where I'm coming from?

Curtis P ~ Thanks for that input. It's another way of viewing it, to be sure, but not one that sits well with me. But likely, it's a case of mentality and the culture of the times, which has followed us through to now in a sort of cultural hangover within the OTO et al.

\m/ Kat

Le Fanu

thorhammer said:
I think it was mostly the idea of the four Zoas being split, and our life's purpose being to reunite them so that we can access our divine imagination. That's very similar in theme to the goal of reunification with the Holy Guardian Angel through finding and living one's True Will within Thelema.
Ahh, I thought it might be this. I was thinking about the Zoas, but wasn't sure if this was manifested in Thelemic thinking.

I agree with you; I think that the Blake Tarot "gets" the Fool's journey thing most vividly. It helps that we have the Eternity 00 card, which I adore. This is what gave rise to the whole "jumping off" of The Fool. It makes so much sense to me to have a card telling us how the Fool finds himself poised to leap off into the unknown. That's just how I see the Eternity card, others may differ.